Letter of Intent vs Phone call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GVL3020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at my first choice school and I am anxiously awaiting the committee's decision. During the interview day a fourth year student mentioned to me that I should call dean of admissions to express my interest. I did not get a chance to meet the dean personally that day. I am afraid that if I call her it may seem intrusive and rub the admissions committee the wrong way. Should I just email a letter of intent instead ? Does anyone have any examples of strong letters of intent ?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say write a letter. Something along the lines of...

Dear Dean _____,

Thank you for inviting me to interview you at your school. I had a swell time. I think your school would be a great fit for me. Here's why. Also, I think I would be a great fit for your school. Here's why. If given the opportunity to attend, I would pick your school over any other school!

Pretty please accept me.

Love,
GVL3020

Members don't see this ad :)
I have sent one using Fedex just to show I mean business.

I recently interviewed at my first choice school and I am anxiously awaiting the committee's decision. During the interview day a fourth year student mentioned to me that I should call dean of admissions to express my interest. I did not get a chance to meet the dean personally that day. I am afraid that if I call her it may seem intrusive and rub the admissions committee the wrong way. Should I just email a letter of intent instead ? Does anyone have any examples of strong letters of intent ?

It seriously depends on the school since there is quite some variability.
Option 1: They encourage both emails and phone calls (I can think of one high end school that actually encourages phone calls A LOT)
Option 2: They either encourage a few emails, or only one email.
Option 3: "Letters of intent will have no effect on the decision"
Option 4: "Students should NOT send letters of intent, or call" which makes it sound like it can be detrimental. PM me what school you are waiting for if you want, and maybe I know what the best action is to take. Nevertheless, if I was in your shoes, I would play it safe and simply send an email - its simply the best of all worlds.