Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Letter of Intent?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by malamed, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. malamed

malamed

Pre-Medical
    I have heard of people sending these to their # 1 choice school…I have low to avg stats and haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I know I want to go to CUSOM and continue practicing in NC.. When should I send this letter, if at all? and what should it say? Format? I would do the EDP, but like I said, my stats are just under the requirements and no mcat until later in the cycle.
    Anyone else done this have suggestions?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Pre-Medical
    You have to apply first, and then interview. Send LOI if you get waitlisted, or are put on hold before interview.

4. DoctorKrieger

DoctorKrieger Exit Van Left 2+ Year Member

Pretty sure the consensus is that letters of intent are a waste of time and don't improve your chances.

5. Awesome Sauceome

Awesome Sauceome SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    How in the world did they become so big/common? Like that is all I have ever heard yet even I am tempted to send one to my top school, but that is more out of pure desperation haha... But its like, even through my temptation, I know that it is likely useless.

6. DoctorKrieger

DoctorKrieger Exit Van Left 2+ Year Member

Probably just people wanting to do anything and everything possible to push their application over the edge. If I was in the admissions department, I'm sure I would roll my eyes every time one came across my desk. This isn't college athletic recruiting. I think I've seen Goro comment about them in the past so you can search for that if you want the straight dope.

7. Awesome Sauceome

Awesome Sauceome SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Yea I have definitely seen him say they dont work (at least at his school). In the end I dont think I would do it, mayyybe if like I was put at the top of a waitlist near the end of the season or something. At that point people start getting frantic haha.

8. gonnif

gonnif Only 1426 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I disagree, in the right circumstances they can have a big impact especially after (in order of lessor to greater importance) interview, waitlist, acceptance.

They work on general concept of showing motivation and commitment and the specific for that school

Interviews should always be followed by a thank you note and reasons after seeing the school why you were impressed with it, and more importantly, why you would be a good fit to school/class.

Waitlist can be followed with a letter of why that school is your top choice. This is especially true if you have

Acceptance at another school but want this specific school

My example from this semester is a student who lives in Chicago but was born in Colorado, both parents had medical degrees from Colorado, and by chance the admission dean practiced in the tiny town where she was born and when to the tiny college where both her parents went to.

That reinforced in a thank you note and a second visit to campus and even though out of state, she was accepted.

In sum, having a well written letter with specific reasons for liking a school and why you fit can be helpful. It certainly does not hurt

ilovemacaroons likes this.
  9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    First, see if they welcome LOI.

Second, keep in mind that these are almost useless. How else would one interpret a non-binding contact from a desperate applicant?

10. malamed

malamed

Pre-Medical
    I am no expert, but like gonnif said, it could be interpreted as determination and genuine interest. If it wont hurt me, I'd like to send one before an interview to say "hey I really want to go here, here's why, and this is what I'm doing over the next year to improve my application if it isn't strong enough at this exact moment..." Of course I just want to set myself apart from the thousands..

11. 4corners

4corners

Wouldn't is be good to sent a letter of intent if you have an acceptance but would want to attend that other school you have been waitlisted at? I think that really shows genuine interest and that you really want to go there above your other acceptances.

12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Depends upon the quality and the cost of tuition at the school you're accepted at. But even then, if a school specifically states "No LOI" and you send one in anyway, you'll get rejected because you either can't follow simple instructions, or feel you're so entitled that the rules don't apply to you.

13. 4corners

4corners

May you please explain how the cost of tuition and quality would matter? The other school wouldn't know which school you have been accepted to, just that you have an acceptance and prefer the waitlist school more.

14. chizledfrmstone

chizledfrmstone MSIII SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol, has this ever happened?

15. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    yes

Goro likes this.
  16. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    And there you go! (see above post).

17. gonnif

gonnif Only 1426 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actually I would disagree with that. LOI can be useful later in the process. Before an interview, it doesnt do much but roll eyes at the school

18. chizledfrmstone

chizledfrmstone MSIII SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was put on hold at a school pre-interview and they told me an LOI would help out.

It really just depends on the school.

About the ads