Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malamed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people sending these to their # 1 choice school…I have low to avg stats and haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I know I want to go to CUSOM and continue practicing in NC.. When should I send this letter, if at all? and what should it say? Format? I would do the EDP, but like I said, my stats are just under the requirements and no mcat until later in the cycle.
Anyone else done this have suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to apply first, and then interview. Send LOI if you get waitlisted, or are put on hold before interview.

Pretty sure the consensus is that letters of intent are a waste of time and don't improve your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure the consensus is that letters of intent are a waste of time and don't improve your chances.
How in the world did they become so big/common? Like that is all I have ever heard yet even I am tempted to send one to my top school, but that is more out of pure desperation haha... But its like, even through my temptation, I know that it is likely useless.

How in the world did they become so big/common? Like that is all I have ever heard yet even I am tempted to send one to my top school, but that is more out of pure desperation haha... But its like, even through my temptation, I know that it is likely useless.
Probably just people wanting to do anything and everything possible to push their application over the edge. If I was in the admissions department, I'm sure I would roll my eyes every time one came across my desk. This isn't college athletic recruiting. I think I've seen Goro comment about them in the past so you can search for that if you want the straight dope.

Probably just people wanting to do anything and everything possible to push their application over the edge. If I was in the admissions department, I'm sure I would roll my eyes every time one came across my desk. This isn't college athletic recruiting. I think I've seen Goro comment about them in the past so you can search for that if you want the straight dope.
Yea I have definitely seen him say they dont work (at least at his school). In the end I dont think I would do it, mayyybe if like I was put at the top of a waitlist near the end of the season or something. At that point people start getting frantic haha.

First, see if they welcome LOI.

Second, keep in mind that these are almost useless. How else would one interpret a non-binding contact from a desperate applicant?

I have heard of people sending these to their # 1 choice school…I have low to avg stats and haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I know I want to go to CUSOM and continue practicing in NC.. When should I send this letter, if at all? and what should it say? Format? I would do the EDP, but like I said, my stats are just under the requirements and no mcat until later in the cycle.
Anyone else done this have suggestions?

I am no expert, but like gonnif said, it could be interpreted as determination and genuine interest. If it wont hurt me, I'd like to send one before an interview to say "hey I really want to go here, here's why, and this is what I'm doing over the next year to improve my application if it isn't strong enough at this exact moment..." Of course I just want to set myself apart from the thousands..

First, see if they welcome LOI.

Second, keep in mind that these are almost useless. How else would one interpret a non-binding contact from a desperate applicant?
Wouldn't is be good to sent a letter of intent if you have an acceptance but would want to attend that other school you have been waitlisted at? I think that really shows genuine interest and that you really want to go there above your other acceptances.

Depends upon the quality and the cost of tuition at the school you're accepted at. But even then, if a school specifically states "No LOI" and you send one in anyway, you'll get rejected because you either can't follow simple instructions, or feel you're so entitled that the rules don't apply to you.

Wouldn't is be good to sent a letter of intent if you have an acceptance but would want to attend that other school you have been waitlisted at? I think that really shows genuine interest and that you really want to go there above your other acceptances.

Depends upon the quality and the cost of tuition at the school you're accepted at. But even then, if a school specifically states "No LOI" and you send one in anyway, you'll get rejected because you either can't follow simple instructions, or feel you're so entitled that the rules don't apply to you.
May you please explain how the cost of tuition and quality would matter? The other school wouldn't know which school you have been accepted to, just that you have an acceptance and prefer the waitlist school more.

Lol, has this ever happened?

Actually I would disagree with that. LOI can be useful later in the process. Before an interview, it doesnt do much but roll eyes at the school

I was put on hold at a school pre-interview and they told me an LOI would help out.

It really just depends on the school.