Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has had experience on this, please HELP!
Would it be completely inappropriate to write a letter of intent even if you're not waitlisted and just hoping to at least get an interview. If not, any suggestions what to emphasize other than the desire to attend the school and providing an update of experiences since the filing of AMCAS initial app?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you might try getting the dean of admissions emai and directly sending them a very polite email explaining why you desperately want an interview. hey, at this point, you have nothing to lose. just don't sound crazy enough to make them want to warn others.l

Originally posted by IzzyB
Anyone who has had experience on this, please HELP!
Would it be completely inappropriate to write a letter of intent even if you're not waitlisted and just hoping to at least get an interview. If not, any suggestions what to emphasize other than the desire to attend the school and providing an update of experiences since the filing of AMCAS initial app?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dancing telegrams are really the only way to go anymore.

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
Give me an S! S, you got your S, you got your S.
Give me an E! E, you got your E, you got your E.
Give me an A! A, you got your A, you got your A.
Give me an R! R, you got your R, you got your R.
Give me a C! C, you got your C, you got your C.
Give me an H! H, you got your H, you got your H.

What does that spell? Do a search and see!

J/K... I have one that I wrote if you want to see it. :laugh:

Write one letter of intent to the school at which you want to matriculate. Tell them why you want to matriculate at that school. Send it when you have made a final decision about your intent. If you haven't decided on one school, don't send a letter.

Trying to out-think adcoms is a waste of time.

I am curious whether or not it is appropriate to write your top choice state school basically trying to solicit an interview. Especially when your stats are right around what they are looking for.

My feeling on the letter of intent is that you can't really write one until after you have interviewed, but you CAN write a letter of interest explaining why you are so interested in the school, and what special qualities/experiences you would bring. Also, I really don't think it can hurt, so the worst case scenario is that they file it in the recycling bin, but at least it makes you feel like you're being proactive.

thanks for the info- does anyone have an example of a letter of interest? i'm going to try my last ditch effort for an interview at my top choice school. . .

i dont think i would write a intent letter just to get an interview cause the LOI doesnt really fit the situation... but i would do what rosewater said....

write the dean an email saying why you would really love to interview at the school.

i mean for the letter of interest tho...there really isnt a set template. just write the dean a formal email about why you want to interview. list your reasons and make yourself clear.

but if you really want a simple example...

dear dean...

my name and aamc id is...
ive been complete since...
and the reason why i am writing you this letter today is to....

then you explain your reasons in the following paragraphs...

thank you for your time dean...

sincerely...

thanks jlee! turns out i won't need to write the letter after all. just got the interview .5 seconds after i posted this! freaky, but great!

Originally posted by anitra627
thanks jlee! turns out i won't need to write the letter after all. just got the interview .5 seconds after i posted this! freaky, but great!

what school?

Originally posted by anitra627

haha nice. then this will just have to be a +pad+

I actually wrote a letter of INTEREST to a school pre-interview, trying to see if it'll help my chance of getting an interview. Turned out that I was rejected anyway.

So I think a letter of interest or intent won't help much before an interview...if they decide not to offer you an interview, it's unlikely they'll change their mind.