Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SicilianDragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some feedback and guidance. I've got an interview this upcoming week; so far it's the only school that's given me an II (to which I'm very grateful, because my stats aren't that great). With that, I'm starting to feel a little desperate, so do you think it's worth committing to sending them a letter of intent either before or after the interview just to demonstrate how dedicated I am to the school? I've actually applied to this school last year but was rejected prior to interview.

The school is within my top five options (I'm not picky; I'll happily take any med school willing to accept me), but at this point I'm just wondering if it'd be a smart play to just send them a letter of intent so they can see my commitment to their school?

Or... is it worth waiting until after I hear back from the school with a final decision (one week after interview)?

Members don't see this ad.

Letters of intent aren't usually sent until after you're on a waitlist, and are only really helpful if you are on multiple. If you only end up on one, the school already knows you're going to attend if you are accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And how would you interpret a non binding contract from a desperate candidate?

Admissions Deans treat these as lies.

Ugh yeah, honestly I had a feeling that'd be the case. Just feeling desperate and searching for a last-minute hail mary pass...anything that could potentially appease the adcom gods and help sway their decision.

Ugh yeah, honestly I had a feeling that'd be the case. Just feeling desperate and searching for a last-minute hail mary pass...anything that could potentially appease the adcom gods and help sway their decision.

It's the beginning of October, hail mary time is next spring. You've already got one interview invite (which is more than a lot of applicants at this point in time), and plenty of time to receive more. Take a breath, you'll be okay!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Totally understandable, but just consider how normal humans respond to indications of desperation. Every school you applied to has thousands of applicants for a hundred or so spots. Do you think appearing desperate makes you more attractive to them?

What will help sway their decision will be being demonstrably better than most of the other interviewees. Indicating that you believe that is not the case (by acting desperate at a very early stage in the process) will definitely help sway their decision, but not in the way you want. As difficult as you might find it to do, projecting confidence (but not arrogance) will be far more helpful than begging for an A in October.

Reactions: 2 users