Letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ach05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

With acceptance day so close, is it wise to send a letter of intent to the school we’re interested in going to? I’m afraid of ending up getting a letter or rejection on December 16 instead.
Also are chances for a post-December interview higher than previous years due to COVID? I applied early but not sure if that makes a difference at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools make decisions on their interviewees within days of them interviewing. If you were a No back then the odds of a letter of intent making you a Yes now is slim. If you were waitlisted on December 15 then a letter of intent may be worth it and could help you after you’ve been waitlisted.

this cycle may have more post December interviews, But no one actually knows for certain.

just relax and wait for December 15 to see where you stand.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also feel that programs get so many letters of intent that say basically the same thing. Especially for competitive programs, applying and paying is showing interest. I feel like more information you provide beyond the application, unless it is really different (like publishing a paper or winning a big competition), is waisting their time. In the end, letters of intent will most likely not make or break your application.

Would it be fair to other schools to be informed of the applicant's ambivalence about attending their school? We can call it Letter of Non Intent (LONI).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user