letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsrimport

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should a letter of intent be written after the interview or after being waitlisted? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would a letter of interest be beneficial after the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of us uninitiated on what a letter of intent etc may entail, would you elaborate? I'm waitlisted at one school and if I'm supposed to be writing some kind of letter, it'd be good to know what it is.. :)

TIA

gsrimport said:
Should a letter of intent be written after the interview or after being waitlisted? Thanks in advance.

you don't need to write a letter-

ever.

send in your application and you are done.

if you want to accept the acceptance, then fill out the contract they send you.

Do a search on SDN for letter of intent... I was waitlisted at TUN... think it was very helpful as I was just accepted. The idea is that you want to let them know that you will continue to work hard... go to school... work at the hospital... and hope they will let you know any news as to your status on the list.

Also... it doesn't hurt to know that every time you send them a letter... they have to open your file and put it in... ;)

Let them know of any changes that may help you in getting off the waitlist... more MCAT scores... other letters... good grades... work experience...etc I also send a CV and think I was helpful.

-Good luck

gsrimport said:

I have never heard of a letter of intent. I didn't even send the adcom a "Thank You" card after my interview either. If they want you they want you. If they don't they don't. It seems to me like these letters and thank you cards etc...are acts of desperation, which is exactly how you do not want the adcom to look at you.

What an idiot!

adcoms won't give an acceptance to someone they believe is not in it 100%

Remember its a game... those who sit and wait loose

I don't think so..... I think they really do sound like acts of desperation... or maybe a further desire to sell one's self.. not sure which... I suppose if the ad coms are really sitting on the fence about someone, then adding something to their pot makes it more interesting and maybe more enticing to the school.. however.. repeated letters and additional information added to your file might make you an annoyance rather than an asset.

I am beginning to come to peace.. maybe about the cards I've been dealt at this point. I MAY send a copy of my unofficial transcripts from this last semester to the adcom at the one school where I am "on hold". Much further than that, I am done with selling my soul. A school makes a decision based on such a minute portion of you that they see it's not even funny.. there's never an adequate picture of a candidate.

DrB said:
Do a search on SDN for letter of intent... I was waitlisted at TUN... think it was very helpful as I was just accepted. The idea is that you want to let them know that you will continue to work hard... go to school... work at the hospital... and hope they will let you know any news as to your status on the list.

Also... it doesn't hurt to know that every time you send them a letter... they have to open your file and put it in... ;)

Let them know of any changes that may help you in getting off the waitlist... more MCAT scores... other letters... good grades... work experience...etc I also send a CV and think I was helpful.

-Good luck

Hi,

Did you follow up on the letter after a week or so, or was it all basically automatic? I will be sending one out today and I'm unsure on whether or not one should follow up on it.

Thanks,
DrIsh

I was waitlisted at UNE and sent in a letter of intent, and was later accepted, not sure if the letter helped, but it obviously didnt hurt.

adennis said:
I don't think so..... I think they really do sound like acts of desperation... or maybe a further desire to sell one's self.. not sure which... I suppose if the ad coms are really sitting on the fence about someone, then adding something to their pot makes it more interesting and maybe more enticing to the school.. however.. repeated letters and additional information added to your file might make you an annoyance rather than an asset.

I am beginning to come to peace.. maybe about the cards I've been dealt at this point. I MAY send a copy of my unofficial transcripts from this last semester to the adcom at the one school where I am "on hold". Much further than that, I am done with selling my soul. A school makes a decision based on such a minute portion of you that they see it's not even funny.. there's never an adequate picture of a candidate.

I can understand where you are coming from... I was sitting on the list just a few weeks ago. I think being on the wait list is a horible experience, just don't know what to do. The question is what else can you do? Will you have to reapply next year before knowing if you are accepted off the wait list? Remember JUNE 1!!!!! You want primary apps out by that date, this means if you are still on a wait list, you will have to reapply or risk missing out on another year.

Think about this for a while... what will you put on a reapplication that is different from this year? Maybe you need to take a class over, maybe you need to take the MCAT again. Key is that you have to become the applicant that they seek, show determination for a career path that is very difficult. As I looked at my options I couldn't think of a better description than selling my soul. Remember why you want to do this... if it was easy... it might not be worth doing.

KEEP THE FAITH!

P.S. before getting my acceptance letter, I was about half a day from losing my faith.... was going to forget it all and become a PA

After my interview, I sent thank you cards to everyone that I met there (Admission director, associate dean, assistant dean, the interviewers ect... even the secretary). When I called a while later to ask about my status, the first thing that they mention when they heard my name was how happy they were getting the thank you letters. I got accepted to the school. I dont know if my thank you letters helped, but I did have a great interview (I answer the questions well, the interviewers were laughing with me (not at me) ect...). I personally don't think its an act of desperation to sent thank you letters or letters of intent. I read a book on job interviews and they even suggest thank you notes to everyone afterwards as being courtesy. So I don't think it would hurt. All it matters is to get yourself noticed by the adcom and increase your chance of being accepted :) .