Letter of Intent!

Donvb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2005
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone have any information on what to include in a letter of intent? What is the general format of this type of letter? Thank you for any information and helpful hints! :D

DrLalich

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jan 2, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    1. Medical Student
      Donvb said:
      Does anyone have any information on what to include in a letter of intent? What is the general format of this type of letter? Thank you for any information and helpful hints! :D

Here is the general format for the letter of intent that I use:

March 3rd, 2006

Office of Student Affairs and Admissions
      ABCU School of Medicine
      P.O. Box 1111
      Anywhere, AA 12345

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to thank you for approving my application for the Fall 2006 entering medical school class at the Apples Beans and Corn University School of Medicine. I appreciate all the time and attention that your medical school has devoted to the consideration of application.

After careful deliberation, I accept your offer for admission into the ABCU Medical School Class of 2010. Enclosed with this letter is my $XXX remittance fee to reserve my place in the class in accordance with the offer of admissions letter that I received.

I believe strongly in the mission of your medical school and recognize the amazing medical education that the Apples Beans and Corn University offers. I would again like to thank you for all the time that was devoted to considering my application.

Sincerely,

DrLalich

Enclosure (1)

(If you are curious, the enclosure would be the check...) Hope this helps!!!

-DrL

DrLalich

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 2, 2006
      Minneapolis, MN
      1. Medical Student
        Ah crap...I am very tired and I just realized that I posted an admission acceptance letter and not a letter of intent. Sorry, I do not have one of those. I will leave the other one up, in case you may need it later (hopefully!!!)

-DrL

About the Ads

smaroof

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 27, 2003
          Donvb said:

Here is my letter that I wrote to my school and got accepted a week later. Please don't use it verbaitim because they still have my copy that I sent them. This is just to give an idea:

To the Admissions Committee,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I intend to accept a position to xxx if a seat is offered. I consider xxx as my first choice school, and my trip last week for my interview solidified my decision. I would like to note that if accepted, I would be paying my deposit as soon as possible. The school’s strong focus in primary osteopathic medicine is one of the main reasons I would love to attend the school. The preparation I would receive in Pediatrics during my clinical rotations would help me become a successful physician in rural xxxx. While visiting the campus for my interview, I observed the outstanding academic setting in which the students are able to learn. The faculty members were extremely helpful and I would love to learn from them and eventually become their colleagues. In particular, Dr. xxx has been very helpful in aiding my decision to applying to xxxx. Not only has he given me valuable information regarding the implementation of osteopathic medicine in Pediatrics, but has also informed me of the great Pediatric program xxx has to offer.

I eagerly await a decision by the committee.

Sincerely,

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
          Moderator Emeritus
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 13, 2005
          The Lone Star State
          1. Attending Physician
            wondering about your timeline:
            1)time between interview and sending letter
            2)time between sending letter and receiving acceptance.

Thanks!

smaroof said:
            Here is my letter that I wrote to my school and got accepted a week later. Please don't use it verbaitim because they still have my copy that I sent them. This is just to give an idea:

kutiecg

iono
            10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Oct 22, 2005
            FL
            1. Medical Student
              ChEdog said:
              Is emailing a LOI acceptable or does it need to be typed and mailed (snail mail)?

I think typing and mailing through snail mail would be more personal...they would have a solid copy in their hands vs. and email they could just close and may forget about. Good luck :luck:

siriceman64

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Feb 1, 2006
              Glendale, AZ
              1. Medical Student
                Do you think this Letter of Intent would help to move you up in line for the waitlist? I'm currently waiting til June for Des Moines and really want to go there. It seemed like the letter written above would be good for that. Any thoughts? Or any ideas that will help you on the waitlist at this point?

Donvb

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Apr 6, 2005
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  siriceman64 said:
                  Do you think this Letter of Intent would help to move you up in line for the waitlist? I'm currently waiting til June for Des Moines and really want to go there. It seemed like the letter written above would be good for that. Any thoughts? Or any ideas that will help you on the waitlist at this point?

I contacted DMU and they said that a letter of intent was not necessary... So... I don't hink i'm going to send one! But, they said to contact them concerning new GPA(from terms that are completed before waitlist decision)... So, I will do that because I upped my GPA:) Just FYI for anyone on the waitlist!

smaroof

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Sep 27, 2003
                    HunterGatherer said:
                    wondering about your timeline:
                    1)time between interview and sending letter
                    2)time between sending letter and receiving acceptance.

Thanks!

1) 1 week (By the way I faxed it the day before my file was reviewed)
                    2) 4 days

but dont read too much into these dates. the adcoms were going to review my file anyways on a specific date. And I sent a letter of intent to other schools and got rejected

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.