• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

klampster23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
You can acutally do stuff that like????? How does this work...I never heard of this before.

Can you do it for schools that have already denied you or is it only for schools that are still reviewing your application?

Or is it only suitable for schools that have interviewed you????

I imagine no one can give you a direct admittance w/o an interview.

Auraraptor

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you write two and you get into both, you will be bound to attend both.... ...in other words when one finds out you are not coming but going somewhere else, they will inform all the other schools you broke a letter of intent. End result is basically have ur spot retracted at BOTH schools. Tread very carefully!

About the Ads

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I was just wondering how to write one of these. I know this sounds really stupid but I don't really know how to address the adcom without sounding desperate for a spot. Does anyone have a sample of one? I have been looking online but I haven't found anything great... so if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

I really want to go to a certain school. My GPA isn't great though. I have a lot more to offer than what my GPA says though. I am a certified pharmacy technician and I have excelled in everything at my job putting me at one of the highest paid techs in my district. I don't know why I can't do well in school though. I think it has something to do with the fact that there are always at least 300 people in my classes and I really don't like classes that size. I don't have a choice because this is the only place I can afford to do my undergrad right now. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't think my GPA at this school accurately reflects who I am.

Also, what happens if I write 2 letters of intent? Would they find out? There is one school that I am sure that I have no chance at... the other I might but I really want to write letters to both as long as it will have no negative outcomes. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by letter of intent? I'm familiar with personal statement, LOR, and response to interview letter (USC and others require). The only time I've heard "letter of intent" used is in relation to acceptance of an offer to attend the school (traditionally in relationship to sports scholarships.) Given the context of your question it's unlikely that you've received an acceptance letter, since you're saying chances are limited at one school and mediocre/moderate at the other. If you're referring to a personal statement indicating who you are, why you're a good candidate, etc., then yes, you can write as many versions to as many different schools as you like as long as they're not submitted through PharmCAS (because by it's nature would only allow you one for all the schools). If it is not a personal statement you're referring to, I'd need more clarification before I could give any better/different input.

Idesiretosling

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
If you really do what to write it, i would keep it short and concise. Shortly state why you choose them over all other schools and why you would be a benefit to the school. With a thank you for their consideration at the end. Still feels like a PS to me.
Good Luck

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Auraraptor, this is true. It'll be my luck that I'll get accepted to both. Lol. Yeah, so I'm not going to do that. ;)

Basically a letter of intent is telling the school that if they accept you, you will rescind all other applications/acceptances to go to their school.

It's really like begging a school to take you by telling them you will only be loyal to them. I don't really know how to explain it very well.

So anyway, anyone have any tips for writing one?

With that explanation, I'd call the school and see if such a letter in your file would do you any good. Sure it's nice to know that they don't have to do the normal 4 interviews to ensure they get the one acceptance, but with the number of people applying to schools these days, unless your competitive I don't know if it would be worth your time. I'd say if you really want to submit one, just do one, and only to the school you have the best chances in. That way you don't get stuck in an ethical situation where you possibly could be accepted to both (as mentioned above). I personally wouldn't do it at all, but that's primarily because I consider myself just an average candidate (given no pharm experience) and I doubt USC, Western, or OSU care if I'd guarantee matriculation since they're interviewing about 4:1 anyway.

KellyBean

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2007
In the middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
If that works, I think everybody would be doing it already lol

I think it only helps when you are put on the waitlist and then you want to show them how badly you really want to be in their program. Right there and then, you may stand out from the other people on the waitlist, but if you haven't interviewed or have already been rejected, it's a waste of a time.

klampster23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
But what if your waitlist is ranked and the your rank is low. By submitting this letter of intent, can they move you up in the rank? Or would that just be unfair for some students?

Julianne

War Eagle!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
But what if your waitlist is ranked and the your rank is low. By submitting this letter of intent, can they move you up in the rank? Or would that just be unfair for some students?

IMO: Once you're ranked, you're ranked... I'd be highly PO'ed if someone was able to usurp my spot simply by writing a letter.

The closest (verifible) thing that I know of that comes close to the subject of this thread is applying as an ED applicant... in that case, you cannot apply to any other schools (that participate in PharmCas, anyway) and you declare that you will attend if accepted. If you're denied by your first choice, however, all bets are off and you can then apply to as many places as you want to.

Julianne

War Eagle!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I think this is something like a thank you note after an interview. Hardly anyone does it, but you'll be surprised at its effect.

The way that the OP describes it ("Basically a letter of intent is telling the school that if they accept you, you will rescind all other applications/acceptances to go to their school. It's really like begging a school to take you by telling them you will only be loyal to them.") sounds like no thank-you letter I've ever heard of... :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.