Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letter of Intent

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by blue88, Mar 1, 2007.

1. blue88

blue88 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

#1 blue88, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. klampster23

5+ Year Member

You can acutally do stuff that like????? How does this work...I never heard of this before.

Can you do it for schools that have already denied you or is it only for schools that are still reviewing your application?

Or is it only suitable for schools that have interviewed you????

I imagine no one can give you a direct admittance w/o an interview.

4. Auraraptor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you write two and you get into both, you will be bound to attend both.... ...in other words when one finds out you are not coming but going somewhere else, they will inform all the other schools you broke a letter of intent. End result is basically have ur spot retracted at BOTH schools. Tread very carefully!

5. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What exactly do you mean by letter of intent? I'm familiar with personal statement, LOR, and response to interview letter (USC and others require). The only time I've heard "letter of intent" used is in relation to acceptance of an offer to attend the school (traditionally in relationship to sports scholarships.) Given the context of your question it's unlikely that you've received an acceptance letter, since you're saying chances are limited at one school and mediocre/moderate at the other. If you're referring to a personal statement indicating who you are, why you're a good candidate, etc., then yes, you can write as many versions to as many different schools as you like as long as they're not submitted through PharmCAS (because by it's nature would only allow you one for all the schools). If it is not a personal statement you're referring to, I'd need more clarification before I could give any better/different input.

6. blue88

blue88 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

#5 blue88, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  7. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you really do what to write it, i would keep it short and concise. Shortly state why you choose them over all other schools and why you would be a benefit to the school. With a thank you for their consideration at the end. Still feels like a PS to me.
    Good Luck

8. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    With that explanation, I'd call the school and see if such a letter in your file would do you any good. Sure it's nice to know that they don't have to do the normal 4 interviews to ensure they get the one acceptance, but with the number of people applying to schools these days, unless your competitive I don't know if it would be worth your time. I'd say if you really want to submit one, just do one, and only to the school you have the best chances in. That way you don't get stuck in an ethical situation where you possibly could be accepted to both (as mentioned above). I personally wouldn't do it at all, but that's primarily because I consider myself just an average candidate (given no pharm experience) and I doubt USC, Western, or OSU care if I'd guarantee matriculation since they're interviewing about 4:1 anyway.

9. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    If that works, I think everybody would be doing it already lol

I think it only helps when you are put on the waitlist and then you want to show them how badly you really want to be in their program. Right there and then, you may stand out from the other people on the waitlist, but if you haven't interviewed or have already been rejected, it's a waste of a time.

10. klampster23

5+ Year Member

But what if your waitlist is ranked and the your rank is low. By submitting this letter of intent, can they move you up in the rank? Or would that just be unfair for some students?

11. SCCpharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think this is something like a thank you note after an interview. Hardly anyone does it, but you'll be surprised at its effect.

12. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    IMO: Once you're ranked, you're ranked... I'd be highly PO'ed if someone was able to usurp my spot simply by writing a letter.

The closest (verifible) thing that I know of that comes close to the subject of this thread is applying as an ED applicant... in that case, you cannot apply to any other schools (that participate in PharmCas, anyway) and you declare that you will attend if accepted. If you're denied by your first choice, however, all bets are off and you can then apply to as many places as you want to.

13. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The way that the OP describes it ("Basically a letter of intent is telling the school that if they accept you, you will rescind all other applications/acceptances to go to their school. It's really like begging a school to take you by telling them you will only be loyal to them.") sounds like no thank-you letter I've ever heard of... :)