Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emogrrrrl

I like my freedom
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I'm frustrated about writing the letter or intent...exactly how are you supposed to start it out? Just jump write in and say, Dear Dr. X, I am applying to residency b/c ....etc. Or exactly how should it be started? I'm one of those people that I need to get my intro done before I can move forward with my ideas for the rest of the letter.

Any help will be REALLY appreciated!

Em

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping for those that'll be writing one of these soon.

I'm trying to come up with a generic letter myself, but I seem to have the most difficult time just starting the letter and formulating what I want to say. Once I get started, the words kind of seem to flow.

Does anyone know of an online source that has examples of letters of intent? I'll be checking Google in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Basically, do not exceed one page and use standard letter format. Here's how I did mine:

• Your name and contact information (including e-mail)
  • Date
  • The residency director's name and contact information
  • Dear Mr/Mrs/Dr ______ (Residency Director):
  • Paragraph 1: Tell why you're writing them (expressing interest in the PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency program at _______). State why you're interested in doing a residency in the first place. Length of this paragraph for me: 2-3 sentences max
  • Paragraph 2: State your goals and interests, especially the ones that this program has to offer. Length of this paragraph for me: ~3 sentences
  • Paragraph 3: Talk about how this program fits into your long-term goal and what it can offer to you in order for you to grow as a pharmacist. Length of this paragraph for me: ~5 sentences
  • Final paragraph: State your strengths and be assertive. "I am confident that my solid background in _____ (list multiple experiences if you can, i.e., hospital pharmacy, ambulatory pharmacy, research, etc.) makes me an excellent candidate for...." or "I possess _____ (the qualities that make you a strong candidate)". Length of this paragraph for me: ~2-3 sentences
  • Thank the reader for his or her consideration of your app.
  • Close the letter (Sincerely, Regards, etc).

Tweak this however you wish. I used Times New Roman, 11 point font and made SLIGHT adjustments to margins if needed (but nothing too noticeable). :)

Basically, do not exceed one page and use standard letter format. Here's how I did mine:

• Your name and contact information (including e-mail)
  • Date
  • The residency director's name and contact information
  • Dear Mr/Mrs/Dr ______ (Residency Director):
  • Paragraph 1: Tell why you're writing them (expressing interest in the PGY-1 pharmacy practice residency program at _______). State why you're interested in doing a residency in the first place. Length of this paragraph for me: 2-3 sentences max
  • Paragraph 2: State your goals and interests, especially the ones that this program has to offer. Length of this paragraph for me: ~3 sentences
  • Paragraph 3: Talk about how this program fits into your long-term goal and what it can offer to you in order for you to grow as a pharmacist. Length of this paragraph for me: ~5 sentences
  • Final paragraph: State your strengths and be assertive. "I am confident that my solid background in _____ (list multiple experiences if you can, i.e., hospital pharmacy, ambulatory pharmacy, research, etc.) makes me an excellent candidate for...." or "I possess _____ (the qualities that make you a strong candidate)". Length of this paragraph for me: ~2-3 sentences
  • Thank the reader for his or her consideration of your app.
  • Close the letter (Sincerely, Regards, etc).

Tweak this however you wish. I used Times New Roman, 11 point font and made SLIGHT adjustments to margins if needed (but nothing too noticeable). :)

Thank you Glycerin:)

I will just chip in that it's ideal if you can customize each letter for each site. That's why I recommend waiting until after the Midyear to finish the letters. It's very helpful if the letter mentions some things the program representative highlighted during your discussion with him/her. Basically, you want to sound like you a) know that you really, really want to be there, b) know why you want to be there, c) know you can contribute ssomething to the place while you are there. That's the general purpose of any letter of intent. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones I read are boring and generic.

I also like when some unique thing is mentioned in the letter, something I can remember it by, but this is more of a fudge factor and not everyone likes it.

I will just chip in that it's ideal if you can customize each letter for each site. That's why I recommend waiting until after the Midyear to finish the letters. It's very helpful if the letter mentions some things the program representative highlighted during your discussion with him/her. Basically, you want to sound like you a) know that you really, really want to be there, b) know why you want to be there, c) know you can contribute ssomething to the place while you are there. That's the general purpose of any letter of intent. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones I read are boring and generic.

I also like when some unique thing is mentioned in the letter, something I can remember it by, but this is more of a fudge factor and not everyone likes it.

Thank you for adding Hels2007:)

My midyear dilema (as posted in another thread) is whether I'll even be able to go to MidYear at all. :confused:

Thank you for adding Hels2007:)

My midyear dilema (as posted in another thread) is whether I'll even be able to go to MidYear at all. :confused:

Unless the program(s) you are interested in are interviewing at PPS, there is no need attend Midyear. It's more for your benefit - to learn more about programs - than to build a meaningful contact with the program, since representatives are generally overwhelmed by the sheer number of people who stop by to talk to them and can't remember one person from the next. :) I will take a look at that thread too. I haven't visited the boards for about a month, Real Life caught up with me lately. :eek:

I suppose my letter would be a bit different, but still relevant to topic.

I am a P1 now, and recently had a "career day" event where local pharmacy chains and medical groups gave out some information about internships and residencies. Since I'll be getting my Intern Permit in a few months and won't do a residency for another three years, my main concern was on the internship. The ones at the hospitals all required a letter of intent for the program (3 consecutive summers) and a few references.

Based on the fact that I'm just a P1 and barely 20, I don't really have much experience to mention in a letter. I worked over the summer as a hospital tech with IV training, but still haven't done any IPPE rotations of any sort.

Basically, I'm kind of wondering what I should put into this letter to ensure I get started on my way toward clinical pharmacy.

Thanks everyone
-Justin