1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter of Intent

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by IHeartHealth, Dec 16, 2008.

1. IHeartHealth

Pre-Dental
    I was lucky to be interviewed at my top choices this year and was accepted to my second choice school on Dec 1st. I am still awaiting reply from my top choice school. This morning I contacted the admissions coordinator at my top choice school and was told a letter won't hurt but may not really help. I am curious if any of you have written these letters or thought of writing these letters. And even more curious if there is a proper format. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all that are applying this cycle!

-IHeartHealth

2. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Do a search, you'll find old threads about it, including several posts by me. I'm not going to repeat myself from what I wrote on an older thread, but long story short, I wrote a letter of intent to UoP, and it probably hurt more than helped. I would recommend against it. Dig up some older threads and you'll read why.

3. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I tried this with UOP and had no luck. Save yourself somework and a stamp.

4. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    High pressure tactics will not have any swaying power. It is unlikely that the Dean of Admissions of your top choice schools is unaware that applicants have multiple applications and quite possibly multiple acceptances. You were already given an answer by the admissions coordinator but you apparently are choosing to ignore his/her advice.

5. sl2obel2ts

sl2obel2ts i like tomatoes
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    my friend got waitlisted at usc, sent a letter of intent, and then showed up at the school and talked to the coordinator in person. he got accepted exactly 3 days after that. (this was in June)

so def do it!

6. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd include that in a "thank you note" if you write such but not later on. IMO
    Good luck.

7. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think it's a high pressure tactic. Also, if we go by the OP's words, then he wouldn't be ignoring the coordinator's advice. The advice was that it won't hurt, but it "may not" help. That means it may help. I'd say why not go for it.

8. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I read your post, and I think your major problem was that the letter was four pages. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 1 page or less statement describing why you and the school are a fit for each other. Also, you kinda jumped the gun by writing so early in the process. I think the OP is thinking of writing in a good time window: after being interviewed, and after many schools have given out their first and second batches of acceptances.

9. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The coordinator was being diplomatic.

10. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  11. IHeartHealth

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for everyone's posts and advice. The admissions coordinator said that it is common for students to do so and her exact words were "it may or may not help but it will definitely not hurt, I would add it to your file and the adcom will be notified".

As for being diplomatic, you are probably right. I do know this person very well and have been in contact with them for nearly two and half years. This person is also known to be very straight with people.

I'll do some research and ask dental students for their advice. Again, thanks for everyones' input!

-IHeartHealth