Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

letter of intent

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by MIkeNB, Dec 31, 2008.

1. MIkeNB

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    how are u doing guy, For those who had experience in writing letters of intent or know how to write one, would you please give me some advice? I am planning to take the January PCAT to hopefully pull me out of the waitlist for pharm school. However, the schools will not be able to see my new score until march. For this reason, I would like to give them a letter of intent for now with an extra rec letter to increase my chances. Also, I would like to know when would be the best time send my letter. SHould i send it ASAP? Thanks guys

2. MIkeNB

2+ Year Member

any suggestions or comments would help also.

3. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Letter of intent? I've never heard of something like that. I don't see how a letter saying you intend to go there would help your chances at all considering they select YOU, not the other way around.

4. anyr

anyr BOSS FIGHT
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    It's pretty much the same thing as the personal statement. Some schools in canada call it that, like University of Alberta.

5. MIkeNB

2+ Year Member

During my interview, the admission told us that a letter of intent is also an option if we were placed on the waiting list. I don't even know if this will influence their decision. Maybe they're just giving us fake hope.

6. cdhoward

cdhoward PharmD
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In a letter of intent you basically state that if you are offered admission, you will accept the offer. This is something to consider writing if you are placed on an alternate list or wait list. When the adcoms are reviewing who to accept from the alternate list (unranked), the letter will show more initiative than those without. Not sure if it will work for ranked alternate lists.

7. xangelx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Caveat: when the school ends up accepting you, much like early decision, you have to attend.
    Letters of intent are usually written towards the latter part of the application cycle, and only if you are on the waitlist.

8. waryman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    How would they go about to enforce your attendance? What happens if you say you are no longer interested or that you just don;t have the money to attend?

9. MIkeNB

2+ Year Member

it's not a letter of enforce, it's a letter letting them know that your interested in their school and explain why you should be apart of it. Then the decision is still on them. I believe this letter would be very beneficial if you are boarder line. If you have no chance, then this letter would not make a difference.