Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbursts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of pre-meds send in letter of intents/updates to schools. What about for dental?

Members don't see this ad.

Deposits and final transcripts

AADSAS gives you a time to update the schools on new coursework. It also helps to send a formal letter updating the schools on any new things in your application

Deposits and final transcripts

AADSAS gives you a time to update the schools on new coursework. It also helps to send a formal letter updating the schools on any new things in your application

He means sending a letter pre-acceptance or waitlist saying.. blaaah blaah you are my number one choice and will definitely go there if I am accepted blaah blaah...

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha ok didn't know there was such a thing. Isn't that kind of irrelevant because you would tell each school the same thing and just tailor it to that school a little.

Haha ok didn't know there was such a thing. Isn't that kind of irrelevant because you would tell each school the same thing and just tailor it to that school a little.

No.. When people do it, they are honest. You send it to just one school to show them how strong you feel about them. Of course, if they admit you, and you go elsewhere, you broke your letter intent, which is unethical and that school can tell the school they chose what the student did. It's very common in the pre-med community, but not sure about pre-dental.

No.. When people do it, they are honest. You send it to just one school to show them how strong you feel about them. Of course, if they admit you, and you go elsewhere, you broke your letter intent, which is unethical and that school can tell the school they chose what the student did. It's very common in the pre-med community, but not sure about pre-dental.

I can see that affecting their residency match. Learn something new every day, thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Aadsas does not allow me to update my dental experience, therefore I am thinking of sending a letter to the admission committe updating this information. when I applied to dental school I do not have any dental experience. Does anyone think is a good or bad idea to send the letter?

Send it, but include how this experience has influenced you rather than just a list of what you did.

Letter of Intent screams desperation. If that's the image you want to portray.

When I went on my Temple Interview I knew walking out of it that it was my top choice. While at lunch, the students we spoke with mentioned that Temple wants students who really want to go there so if you are truly interested, send an email saying just that. So as I was waiting for my ride I went up to the computer lab and sent a (what I now know as a) letter of intent saying it was my number one choice. Brian, the recruitment coordinator, got back to me the same day saying he would include it in my file to the ADCOM and he really hoped I got accepted. Five days later I got an acceptance and am Temple bound. I don't know if this is the reason I got accepted but it couldn't have hurt.

I would not say doing it to every school you interview at because as mentioned earlier that would be unethical and could come back to bite you whether through the school blabbing about your behavior to some REALLY NASTY KARMA. Don't mess with Buddha.

I agree. But only send it to schools you really are interested in. If they are your number #1 you can say that. If they are a top choice, say that. If they really impressed you say that. Don't go off saying they are your number 1 if tehy are not. Also, saying it in the form of a thank you letter is always nice. Thank you for showing me a great time.... I was very impressed..bla bla..... It's sortof a letter of intent without the .. I am definitely coming here if you accept me. Haha. I sent a letter of intent to Temple afteward (bc they said they wanted us to if we were interested). I sent a "thank you" letter to my interviewers from Midwestern.

But also, schools know things change if you visit a school and end up liking it more than you thought you would. Or you hear from another school you initially ruled out b/c you weren't hearing from them. I don't think they would hold it against you in the long run. It's a personal choice for a lot of reasons. What may be your #1 now may not be after 2 more interviews and some thinking.

When I went on my Temple Interview I knew walking out of it that it was my top choice. While at lunch, the students we spoke with mentioned that Temple wants students who really want to go there so if you are truly interested, send an email saying just that. So as I was waiting for my ride I went up to the computer lab and sent a (what I now know as a) letter of intent saying it was my number one choice. Brian, the recruitment coordinator, got back to me the same day saying he would include it in my file to the ADCOM and he really hoped I got accepted. Five days later I got an acceptance and am Temple bound. I don't know if this is the reason I got accepted but it couldn't have hurt.

I would not say doing it to every school you interview at because as mentioned earlier that would be unethical and could come back to bite you whether through the school blabbing about your behavior to some REALLY NASTY KARMA. Don't mess with Buddha.