Letter of Intents are like Religions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting this feeling that letters of intent can play a really pivotal part in whether or not you are accepted, or rejected from a given school. Much like in some western religious philosophies if you don't express a letter of intent to a given religious affiliation, there is the possibility of being cast into the depths of hell.

Letter of intent = Religious conviction
Adcoms = God or pantheon if you wish
Hell = rejection
Heaven = Holy medical school acceptance

You guys and gals with me on this one.

Members don't see this ad.

... and the worst part is, you can only pick one with a leter of intent... unless...

Yes, I will become a practicing hindu for the remainder of this med app process. That way I can say I love them all equally as my top choice. Yes... YEs..... ... there always is a way... yes... yes..... hehehe....... muhahahahwhhwhwhwhhahahhawhha.... yessssss...... oh sorry. :)

Originally posted by MDTom

Adcoms = God or pantheon if you wish
Heaven = Holy medical school acceptance

I wouldn't flatter the medical profession that much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is reincarnation equal to reapplying?

Originally posted by G_Eagle
Is reincarnation equal to reapplying?

In eastern philosophy, you would want to get off the wheel of desire and suffering and do something other than the admissions process... ;)

So I guess the Bodhisettvas are the SDN moderators/super senior members huh?

P.S. Bodhisettvas are according Buddhism, those who have achieved Nirvana and no longer need to reincarnate, and decided to help others.

Originally posted by CalBeE
So I guess the Bodhisettvas are the SDN moderators/super senior members huh?

P.S. Bodhisettvas are according Buddhism, those who have achieved Nirvana and no longer need to reincarnate, and decided to help others.

Only if they're >MS0.0

Anyone else worried about MDTom?

I understand that you're frustrated MDTom. Maybe you can pray for guidance. Perhaps the frustration in this process is a sign from God.

Hope things work out for you. :thumbup:

... and no, I'm not any where near stable during this psycho unintelligible process. +pissed+

But thank you for letting me vent. SDN's dual nature is both informative and therapeutic. ;)

Originally posted by Slickness
Maybe you can pray for guidance. Perhaps the frustration in this process is a sign from God.

There is no such thing as god

Originally posted by ForensicPath
There is no such thing as god

How true, God is just a concept. To be able to wrap your mind around the idealistic concept of God would be impossible, at least in theory. So instead we start to define God in terms of eternity, omni this and that. Almost sounds like the ideal warranty that you would want on an appliance. hmmm... God ver. 2.3a NEW and IMPROVED.

Just my two cents, but I can't help feeling that letters of interest mostly come across as brazen groveling. I just don't understand why a school (unless it's not particularly competitive) would have any interest in privileging one applicant over an other because they wrote a desperate sounding pledge of allegiance.
Adcom members are smart people- I imagine most of them see LOIs as a kind of sycophantism. I know we all have the urge to exert some control over this inherently unmanageable period of waiting, I just don't see letters like this reflecting particularly well on our case. We did after all demonstrate a strong desire to go to the schools we applied to by virtue of the essays we wrote and the interviews we gave and maybe even the thank you notes we wrote (or didn't). Even if adcom members don't view LOIs badly, I still can't see how they would actually make a difference.
When you compile a list of the criteria that most schools use to select applicants (GPA, MCAT, ECs, Essays, LORs, Life experience) how could a puny little letter make that much of a difference? It's been a while since I applied to college, but I never heard of such things as LOIs when I did and I did just fine. I've applied for a lot of jobs since college and other than writing a thank you note, it never struck me as anything but tacky and hyperactive to write additional letters detailing my enthusiasm for the job.
Of course I could be dead wrong. I have heard stories like the ones about Dean Frantz at Columbia putting a lot of weight on these letters. It's hard for me to believe though that he would care about these things until the waitlist season has started.

Well, for me, a LOI to my first choice really was important because, apart from my interviewers who I told to convey my commitment to attend the school if accepted, I never submited any essays or otherwise that professed this. I sent my LOI to the Dean of Admissions in the hopes that when the adcom sits down to decide on my file, the dean will be able to say, "this guy really wants to go" to the rest of the committee. That will carry some additional weight in the decision process of others.

Even if it doesn't work like this, the worst case scenerio is that nobody pays it any mind and your back where you were before you wrote it. On the other hand, if you can get someone to recognize your name when they're sifting through the mountain of files, that's nothing but good.