Letter of Intents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a letter of interest? and what is a letter of intent? How effective are these in getting someone off the waitlist? And is there a general format they should follow? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no formal definition, nor is there any recognition of these letters by AMCAS, the AAMC, or med schools in general.

There is no legally binding effect of an "intent" letter, which typically is along the lines of "if accepted, I will attend." People will argue ad nauseum that it is a binding contract, but it is not.

People will also argue that you can send multiple letters of interest, but only one letter of intent. That is a personal decision as far as I am concerned...;)

As for effectiveness: some schools will specifically tell waitlisters to communicate early and often their interest in attending. But none of that really happens until next year, say March at the earliest, and April and May for sure.

Personally, I don't think sending these letters prior to getting waitlisted is very smart or effective. But I see people here who are actually sending them pre interview invitation, and I frankly think that is desperate, and my guess is that med schools may see it the same way.

Then there is another wave of these letters post interview / pre decision. I think that this is kind of iffy, too, but I suppose it can't hurt too much, depending on how it is worded. I mean, they know you are interested - you applied, and you spent time and $ interviewing. Not too sure how valuable such a letter would be post interview...and a strongly worded letter of "intent" could come off very desperate.

thanks! that is oh so very helpful...

Ok, now that I've had my silly joke, here is the real answer.

A letter of interest is a letter you send to the Dean of Admissions/AdCom to state why you think you would be a good fit at the school and what intrigues you about the school.

A letter of intent is one a potential matriculant (typically post interview, often on the waitlist) to let the AdCom know they would absolutely matriculate there if accepted. It isn't binding, but it is your word you'd be diminishing if you back out of such a letter.

Some AdComs find the above next to useless and some are more receptive of them. They often are mixed into an update letter. Is there anything else you'd like to know. Also, if someone else has something to add, please do.

There is no formal definition, nor is there any recognition of these letters by AMCAS, the AAMC, or med schools in general.

There is no legally binding effect of an "intent" letter, which typically is along the lines of "if accepted, I will attend." People will argue ad nauseum that it is a binding contract, but it is not.

People will also argue that you can send multiple letters of interest, but only one letter of intent. That is a personal decision as far as I am concerned...;)

As for effectiveness: some schools will specifically tell waitlisters to communicate early and often their interest in attending. But none of that really happens until next year, say March at the earliest, and April and May for sure.

Personally, I don't think sending these letters prior to getting waitlisted is very smart or effective. But I see people here who are actually sending them pre interview invitation, and I frankly think that is desperate, and my guess is that med schools may see it the same way.

Then there is another wave of these letters post interview / pre decision. I think that this is kind of iffy, too, but I suppose it can't hurt too much, depending on how it is worded. I mean, they know you are interested - you applied, and you spent time and $ interviewing. Not too sure how valuable such a letter would be post interview...and a strongly worded letter of "intent" could come off very desperate.

Well I am talking about after a decision has been made. Would it be too early now? wait til march-ish. also how effective are these usually?

Well I am talking about after a decision has been made. Would it be too early now? wait til march-ish. also how effective are these usually?

Well, if you are talking about post rejection, I think these letters are totally useless. Game over.

If you are talking about a waitlist situation, it is school dependent - some schools want them, some schools don't care about them - check old threads - but in general, I would say that it is a good idea to send a waitlist school some expression of your continuing interest in their school.

If you are waitlisted now, they aren't going to consider your app again for maybe 6 months - therefore, sending a letter now seems kind of nutty - let your cycle go forward from here, and then make an informed choice of which schools you want to pester, and then also decide the degree of the letter - interest vs intent - and fire away.