Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

letter of interest b/f even an interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by johnstoner, Nov 15, 2002.

1. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

hi...is it okay to send a letter of interest even before you get an interview...in hopes of getting an interview?

my first choice is Yale and I would give up my left n%t to go to that school...any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

actions speak louder than words. wrap it in some tissue paper and just send it to them. Be sure to write your AAMC ID# on the side

;)

4. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: tbw, i was drinking water and half of it came spewing out of my nose. thanks for helping me clear my sinuses. :laugh:

5. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Rumor is that most male Yale students did in fact send in both nuts to get in. Or donated a library. ;)

Just kidding, Yale is a great school.

6. johnstoner

7+ Year Member

dudes...i'm being serious.

letter of interest to sway them for an interview? I wouldn't give up both natz.

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

For a school like Yale I don't imagine sending them a letter would make a significant (any?) difference in whether they were to offer you an interview or not. If it makes you feel better to try though, why not do it. I would at *least* include an update on one of your activities. If you haven't done anything new then I think a letter at this point would be pretty weak. They already know you are interested or you wouldn't have paid money to apply. Without an update such a letter would (in my opinion) add nothing other than paperwork to your file. Also be sure that this school allows 'updates'. Some schools specifically request that you don't send such materials, in which case I can't imagine a letter of interest would be any more welcome. Unfortunately as I did not apply to this school I do not know off-hand what its policies are.

good luck

8. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Dude, it's basically useless. Send after interview. Before interview it's just gonna make you look desperate. Plus, it's very random anyways

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i also think it looks desperate.

10. johnstoner

7+ Year Member

what if i had a new letter of recommendation?

11. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I don't think a school like Yale would find you desperate; they'd probably think you were just trying to set yourself apart. I'm sure that, if you're applying to Yale, you've got good enough credentials that you needn't worry about an acceptance at a backup school.

I don't think you can expect that anyone at Yale would even read your letter, but it can't hurt to try and get your money's worth out of it....