Letter of Interest/Intent-The Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on sending a LOI to a school where you have not yet been invited to interview if it is, in fact, my top and likely, my ONLY practical choice.
I think it's fine if you send an email under the pretext of updating them on any additional shadowing hours, extracurriculars etc with a line or two restating your determination to become a dentist and your continued interest in their school. I would be careful to not sound like you were begging or kissing ass but if you have any specifics on why their school maybe you could include that as well.

Members don't see this ad.

sending an email stating your interest DOES help. I sent letters of interest to some schools that haven't interview me yet. To my surprise they invited me a few days later.
Hi there, may I ask which schools you sent an LOI to before interviewing? Thanks!

Granted and your initial points are all valid. I think its just a case of wanting to do everything within your power to help persuade the school, but one's expectations shouldn't be significantly raised by writing one.

I sent a letter of Intent to one school I really want to attend. My application is strong and my stats are well above that school's averages, but I didn't hear back from them. I had no illusions when I wrote the letter to them and I expected nothing much to come out of it. I still haven't heard from them and I don't much care anymore, but at the time, sending that letter of intent put my mind at ease. What I am trying to say is the LOI was more placebo than cure for one's admissions woes - write one to feel you've done the most you can, but don't think it'll magically make things better.
Hi there, do you happen to know how it's looked upon to send an LOI before receiving an interview at UCLA? Thanks!