irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Would like some opinions about this ~
I have not received an interview from PCOM, which is one of my top choices. I would like to send a letter saying that it is a top choice of mine, and that I really want to interview there, but i'm not sure what to include in the letter. Obviously I would state it more professionally, but is it a good idea to send a letter like this, and if so does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! :luck:

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
irishlaydi said:
Would like some opinions about this ~
I have not received an interview from PCOM, which is one of my top choices. I would like to send a letter saying that it is a top choice of mine, and that I really want to interview there, but i'm not sure what to include in the letter. Obviously I would state it more professionally, but is it a good idea to send a letter like this, and if so does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! :luck:
that's basically what to say. i would highlight a few unique qualities of the school that you like, why you would be a good fit, and perhaps certain activities that you have been involved with in the last year that help demonstrate your commitment to medicine (but not necessarily in this order). Then end with saying that they are your #1/top choice.

OP
irishlaydi

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Maine
Status
Thanks! So, in your opinion it is a good idea to send a letter like this before receiving an interview? I figured that since its later in the season, it could make a difference between getting an interview or not. :luck:

Peace&Health

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
irishlaydi said:
Thanks! So, in your opinion it is a good idea to send a letter like this before receiving an interview? I figured that since its later in the season, it could make a difference between getting an interview or not. :luck:
Yep, never hurts to show interest. Worst they can do is throw it away. Do have something you've done well to update them with--good gpa on recent courses, invovlement in something. etc.

If you can get someone to write you a strong letter of rec to include in your letter, that would be an idea too.

good-luck!

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status
I had a great interview there and found them to be very friendly. I'd recommend letting them know they are your top choice. Tell them so, and tell them why. And keep your letter pretty short so they don't feel bothered to read it!

Good luck