Letter of Interest/Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aau22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if it is a good idea to send a letter of intent/interest to a school that you have interviewed at before you even receive a decision? I interviewed at UVM and completely fell in love with the school and know I'd go there if accepted but I didn't know if to send a letter saying I'd wtihdraw all other applications if accepted was considered tacky or may hurt my chances there? Thoughts? Also, anyone know what chances may be if you are in intermediate pool at Buffalo, continue to evaluate at Penn State, or on hold at Drexel? Thanks so much....good luck to all!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have wrestled with the same issue - you don't want to sound desperate, but you want to let them know your interested. I would recommend calling the admissions office and talking to the staff. They're not on the comittee, so you don't have anything to lose by asking, and the may be able to tell you "don't do it, dean such and such hates it because she thinks your just sucking up" or "go ahead, they love to hear that students are interested". Then again, you may catch the staff at a bad time, piss them off with another inane question, and all records of your interview accidentally falls into the shredder.

aau22 said:
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if it is a good idea to send a letter of intent/interest to a school that you have interviewed at before you even receive a decision? I interviewed at UVM and completely fell in love with the school and know I'd go there if accepted but I didn't know if to send a letter saying I'd wtihdraw all other applications if accepted was considered tacky or may hurt my chances there? Thoughts? Also, anyone know what chances may be if you are in intermediate pool at Buffalo, continue to evaluate at Penn State, or on hold at Drexel? Thanks so much....good luck to all!!! :)

I think that sending them a letter of intent now (which is probably the most effective time to do it) could only help your chances of admission. You are talking about sending a letter of intent, which basically says that if they accept you, you will go there, so you should only say that if you're sure. It is not "tacky" to say you would decline other offers you currently have so long as it's true, although you probably shouldn't name the schools specifically.