Letter of Interest -- OOS applying to TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Efflorescence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm posting this on behalf of one of my friends. She is an OOS resident with two TX acceptances (1 DO, 1 MD) and a 3rd upcoming TX interview. However, she would really like to go to UTHSCSA because of family ties in San Antonio (she would live with them while attending school). Also, she spent two summers shadowing/working in healthcare in San Antonio. She went to undergrad in TX and is spending her gap year in TX.

In this case, would it hurt to send a pre-interview letter of interest to UTHSCSA? I'm also wondering if she should mention that she has offers from other TX schools so it doesn't seem like she's just trying to get the cheap tuition. Also, is email the best way to send this letter?

I'm IS and I already have a UTHSCSA acceptance so I'd love to see my friend get in too! Thank you guys for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

If the school has a policy of "no pre-interview updates", don't send it. Otherwise, it can't hurt. The worst they can do is reject her, and it's getting late in the cycle, so she may not expect to get in anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn I would not mind doing that at all for my friend, but do you think it would reflect poorly on her to not send it herself? Also, would sending this message in any way threaten my own acceptance?

Last edited:
If the school has a policy of "no pre-interview updates", don't send it. Otherwise, it can't hurt. The worst they can do is reject her, and it's getting late in the cycle, so she may not expect to get in anyway.

It's November 17th...

In Texas that's like April compared to other states. Most schools stop interviewing 2nd week of January, so only like 4-5 dates left.
Oh! I was not aware...not from TX and didn't apply in TX. Thanks for sharing that knowledge!