This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonjr49

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe its just wishful thinking but Im willing to be ‘bold’ (if its even bold) for the sake of my future.
Sadly, this is the most likely.
Apply to a sufficient number of schools that are a match for your stats and mission.
Some states are more motivated than others.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! I’ve read other similar forums before and seen the answers - zoinks. Please have a listen first. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Question: Thoughts on if I send a letter of interest (NOT intent) to one school (only) pre-interview? Perhaps a couple months after the secondary application has been turned in. Online websites have relayed that about a couple months after the secondary and hearing nothing, this might be more appropriate than immediately after turning in the secondary.

The important context: 1. This is a middle of the road (OOS for me) private school regarding stats. Based on their MSAR, I would pass the minimum OOS student stats theyve accepted. I have a good resume. 2. I genuinely really like this school, what they stand for, their curriculum, their values. I would absolutely attend if #3 coming next wasnt part of it. 3. Perhaps the most important point in your thinking of your response: my fiance will be attending that school a year ahead of me. We likely wont be married by the time I apply, but regardless - we are sticking together. If I got in, I would go - for obvious (but multiple) reasons.

1 and 2, in my opinion, arent quite strong enough alone (or are perhaps just barely strong enough) to merit a letter of interest (again, not intent), but adding in 3 does. I really want to be with my partner AND attend their medical school. Its rly just the perfect 2-in-1. Hoping the fact we’re engaged would have them see I really am interested, therefore giving me a better shot of at least being interviewed. Maybe its just wishful thinking but Im willing to be ‘bold’ (if its even bold) for the sake of my future. If someone believes it would be fair to send: do I mention my fiance? (Whoever does not, pls reply kindly - I totally hear you. Thats why Im asking in the post.)

Thanks again.
Your application will show your interest. You can mention your rationale in your secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is likely that your significant other hasn't started classes there yet but after that happens, maybe by October or so, perhaps that student can approach the admissions office and put in a good word for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Also apply to any other schools in the area. My wife only applied to schools near my school. You then need to decide if you will apply to schools outside of the area. That is a very tough personal call. I really have no advice to offer there. Good luck and best wishes.

I presume you are reading the SDN articles posted about Building Your School List and Leveraging Strong Ties.

Congrats to your SO. Your chances of getting in improve if your SO passes the classes by the way. Help him succeed, and karma could help you... both.

Be with him and family for orientation activities including any early White Coat ceremonies. Be tactfully present when he introduces you to faculty and administration. Don't seem too eager and never act entitled. That would be enough in lieu of a pre interview LOI. and as noted you will likely get a chance to explain "why our school" so start writing that secondary essay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I presume you are reading the SDN articles posted about Building Your School List and Leveraging Strong Ties.

Congrats to your SO. Your chances of getting in improve if your SO passes the classes by the way. Help him succeed, and karma could help you... both.

Be with him and family for orientation activities including any early White Coat ceremonies. Be tactfully present when he introduces you to faculty and administration. Don't seem too eager and never act entitled. That would be enough in lieu of a pre interview LOI. and as noted you will likely get a chance to explain "why our school" so start writing that secondary essay.
I will add that you will have a better idea of the curriculum and culture and the school thanks to your fiance's insights and can really shine in that essay (if it is asked) and at the interview, if you are lucky enough to land one.

I'm just hopping on to say that I let my #1 school know they were my #1 school all throughout my secondaries, interview, and follow-up thank you note, not obnoxiously, just "I have a house and family support here, making this my top choice, in addition to xyz reasons I love your school." Got an early interview and accepted on first day acceptances went out, with specific feedback about how my love for the school was one of their influencing decisions. As always though, ymmv!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.