Letter of interest question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soviet Poland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do you typically send in a letter of interest? Do you email the dean of admissions directly with a word or pdf attachment? Is there a section on Interfolio for personal letters? Do you mail a physical copy?

Also, I am planning on writing a letter of interest while I am on the waitlist for an interview. AZCOM if it matters. I know for a fact my MCAT is the one thing on my application holding me back. Would it be appropriate addressing my score in this letter? (Providing context/explanation if I make sure to not make it sound like an excuse and display that I intend to correct this?). If it is poor form/won't be considered, then I will just stick to things I have accomplished since I submitted my application (mostly ED Scribe employment, 500+ hours of it). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would email or call the admissions department to ask if they accept letters. I would definitely send more of an "update letter" that reiterates your interest, but still adds new aspects to your application. I sent my letters as PDF files to the admissions department. Addressing your MCAT score would not be a bad thing depending on how you mention it. Perhaps something like, "While my MCAT score may not be the strongest part of my application, I feel that blah blah blah..."

I would email or call the admissions department to ask if they accept letters. I would definitely send more of an "update letter" that reiterates your interest, but still adds new aspects to your application. I sent my letters as PDF files to the admissions department. Addressing your MCAT score would not be a bad thing depending on how you mention it. Perhaps something like, "While my MCAT score may not be the strongest part of my application, I feel that blah blah blah..."

Thanks for the reply. With regards to addressing my MCAT, would it be poor form to cite a few studies showing VR performance as most correlated with COMLEX and USMLE scores? VR was my highest in both of my attempts and I feel like that's more of a reasoned answer than simply ignoring my score. If I'm humble about it, would making a case for my score to be seen in a different contextual light be bad? I majored in psych, and took biochem courses. I think it stands to reason my score would improve with the 2015 changes, so those two pieces of evidence in conjunction might help write off a below average score? When I called admissions, they mentioned my score was the only thing holding me back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. I'm not sure about citing that part. I feel like that could be taken in a bad way by some people. I wouldn't be offended if I read it, but it may be seen negatively as if you're telling them things that they already know or something. I could be wrong, but I would be hesitant about including that

Hmmm. I'm not sure about citing that part. I feel like that could be taken in a bad way by some people. I wouldn't be offended if I read it, but it may be seen negatively as if you're telling them things that they already know or something. I could be wrong, but I would be hesitant about including that

Yeah I see your point. It's tough. On one hand I want to demonstrate that I'm not trying to BS them and want to be scientific about it, but maybe it is a bit much.

I guess my last question is regarding length. Under a page is obvious, but should it be like two tiny body paragraphs, akin to a cliche letter, or more of a personal statement (in that it's more of a page long narrative?)

Yeah I see your point. It's tough. On one hand I want to demonstrate that I'm not trying to BS them and want to be scientific about it, but maybe it is a bit much.

I guess my last question is regarding length. Under a page is obvious, but should it be like two tiny body paragraphs, akin to a cliche letter, or more of a personal statement (in that it's more of a page long narrative?)
I can message you on of mine as an example if you'd like. It's up to you the style that you take, but either way, I'd keep it under a page. Mine mostly filled out one full page

100% agree with this approach. Medical schools pay little attention to LOI.