Letter of Interest Template

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsdreamero913

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dear Powerful Dental Person,

My name is Name. I am one of the many hopefuls who applied to the University of Dentistland this cycle---a cycle crowded with thousands of wonderful students whose deluge of applications must have been quite a challenge to parse. I am writing to share with you a bit about my situation. I was not fortunate enough to receive an offer from Dentistland on Dec 1st, and I would like to formally express my ongoing interest in your program. Dentistland remains my first choice for several reasons. 1) Blah blah blah. 2) Hakuna Matata. 3) Rah rah firecracker firecracker flash boom bang. During my interview, I was very impressed with the faculty and facilities (etc. etc.)

I know that I would be a positive addition to the Class of 2020. [Insert here a brief and recent personal anecdote, reinforcing your dedication to and suitability for the study of dentistry.]

Thank you for your continuing time investment in considering applicants such as me.

-Name

(Show interest, persistence, understanding, humility, and a command of the English language.)

Doctoothache will comment on this soon enough with his ideas about letters of interest. Don't let him talk you out of writing them. They work and a couple schools told us during the interviews that if we write thank you letters or letters of interest the will be added to our file. Write one and they will respond to you

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
[insert snarky comment here]

no harm, no foul. submit away, people. unless you're a terrible writer, I doubt it can hurt you.

Sending a letter shouldn't hurt unless you say something stupid. Might as well give it a try if it means they could possibly take a second look at your application.

Keep it short and upbeat. I think @akog has the right idea, but cut out unnecessary obsequious language. Never take the risk of writing BS because it is so transparent to people who read applications for a career.

If you have received other acceptances, you should mention this. You know how that girl/guy suddenly becomes more attractive to you when you see them dating someone else?

You can also use the letter to give them an update on what you've been up to since you last communicated with them (perhaps since you submitted your AADSAS application) before you do the AADSAS Academic Update.

I disagree about mentioning other acceptances, though... it's slightly petty, in my opinion. If anything, they'll be less inclined to give you an acceptance. Would they rather extend one to a person who hasn't gotten accepted anywhere yet, or someone who has others? You could, in theory, look attractive and competitive, but saying that could also backfire on you... you've been warned.

But, I'm none of us are on adcoms, so who knows. Either one of us could be wrong. Isn't this fun? It's like Russian Roulette, but for our future.

An LOI and a kitchen sink will make an applicant dynomite.

Last edited:
Should I send the letter of interest as a response to the waitlisted e-mail or should I send it to the dean or admissions email?

Should I send the letter of interest as a response to the waitlisted e-mail or should I send it to the dean or admissions email?
im all for doing any and everything to better your chances but this letter is so annoying and unnecessary.
you already sent your "letter of interest"... its called your application! you're on a wait list, get over it.
dec 1 acceptances get 30 days to accept or decline before more acceptances get sent out. maybe call and inquire where you are on the wait list otherwise just WAIT.

Reactions: 1 user