Letter of interest to get Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2now

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Had a query. I'm thinking of sending letter of interest to the places I have applied. People say personalize it. But what to do about places I don't have any connections with or any particular reason to get an IV at. Some ppl state family or geographical location. What to do if neither of it is there? A bit confused. Please give your insights regarding this.

Members don't see this ad.

We get a metric ton of these emails/letters every day during application season...

At best, we ignore them (this happens to 99% of them)
At worst, you say something weird or there is something offputting about the letter and it draws our attention in a negative way which causes us to look at your application and move it to the "do not invite" pile (this happens to 1% of them)

We know you're interested; you sent an application. Uninterested people don't do that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We get a metric ton of these emails/letters every day during application season...

At best, we ignore them (this happens to 99% of them)
At worst, you say something weird or there is something offputting about the letter and it draws our attention in a negative way which causes us to look at your application and move it to the "do not invite" pile (this happens to 1% of them)

We know you're interested; you sent an application. Uninterested people don't do that.
So you think it doesn't help to write letter of interest?

So you think it doesn't help to write letter of interest?
99% of the time, no, because most people who are disappointed with the number of interviews they've received thus far are doing the same thing.

If you can honestly point to a reason you are particularly interested in a program (proximity to family, a particular track that you're interested in, etc), then it may be worth it to try. Otherwise, it's probably not going to hurt, but sending a generic letter isn't going to help.

Reactions: 1 user