Letter of Interest to Local School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my local school has been silent in regards to my application for about 3 months now and I'm really eager to hear from them. I also know that interview slots are being dropped and swapped all the time.

Do you think it would be worth it to send a letter to the school stating that I could make any interview with no advanced notification needed (like if an interview slot dropped tomorrow, I could make it)?

Members don't see this ad.

That specifically sounds a little desperate.

But if they are receptive, you can send a combination update letter and letter of interest to them.

Reactions: 1 user
That specifically sounds a little desperate.

But if they are receptive, you can send a combination update letter and letter of interest to them.
All of us non-accepted folk are a little desperate, maaaaan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconding @Lamel. Combo update and interest is best. Shows that you aren't merely gasping at straws and have been doing things.

Haha of course, I don't blame you at all. I think sending a letter "If you have any interview slots opening up I am willing to attend them at any moments notice" is a little awkward. But if you can send a legitimate update letter (with grades, activities etc.) along with a little blurb on why you are interested in the school, go for it (as long as they accept them).

I'm assuming adcoms have passed on your app for now. I think the combo update and interest letter will be better than saying I can interview tomorrow. The latter won't make them excited to re-review your app while the former might. Plus, it is weird to say no advanced notification needed. I'm sure the school in questions has an interview invitation and scheduling policy which it adheres to.

This is a good way to get your app dropped tot he bottom of the list.

You sent them an app. They know you're interested.

So my local school has been silent in regards to my application for about 3 months now and I'm really eager to hear from them. I also know that interview slots are being dropped and swapped all the time.

Do you think it would be worth it to send a letter to the school stating that I could make any interview with no advanced notification needed (like if an interview slot dropped tomorrow, I could make it)?

This is a good way to get your app dropped tot he bottom of the list.

You sent them an app. They know you're interested.
Yikes! So when is it an appropriate time to send a "letter of interest?" Or is there ever, then, an appropriate time?!

Yikes! So when is it an appropriate time to send a "letter of interest?" Or is there ever, then, an appropriate time?!

Just to expand Goro's statement, Letters of interest don't mean anything, especially pre-interview, because they assume everyone is interested. The only meaningful thing you can do is send updates on grades/ECs/Pubs etc. Fall is ending and if you're in still in school now is a good time to send grades.

It sucks, but if you really don't have anything to add then best thing to do is wait. Sending any letter of interest would most likely be ignored and worst case scenario, lead you to the back of the pile. Definitely don't say you can interview whenever though.

I sent a school a pre-interview letter of disinterest once for grad school. I got accepted at one of my top choices and needed to tell this other school that I didn't want to go there. It worked: I didn't go there.

The other way around is probably harder.

Reactions: 1 users
If applicable, you can send an update email with any recent updates, like research, new activities, etc.

It should be short like 3-5 sentences and you can include that you would be happy to interview there. It's better than nothing, and the worst thing that can happen is that it will be ignored.

Why would a med school move the applicant's file to the bottom because he/she sent a desperate letter of interest? I mean what bad characteristics does that show...? Maybe that they're lacking patience but is it really that strong of an action that it would put off adcoms?

Just wondering so that I can be careful of my actions during this cycle. Thanks!

Why would a med school move the applicant's file to the bottom because he/she sent a desperate letter of interest? I mean what bad characteristics does that show...? Maybe that they're lacking patience but is it really that strong of an action that it would put off adcoms?

Just wondering so that I can be careful of my actions during this cycle. Thanks!

The adcoms on SDN certainly don't speak for every single adcom ever, but they've said many times that they hate these letters and strongly discourage applicants from sending them. Does it really matter exactly why? Yes to all the reasons you listed.