Zippership

the Burninator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
So I've heard through the grapevine that if you send a letter of interest to your first choice school, they will then share this letter with the other medical schools you are applying to. Is this just rumor? I imagine it would violate antitrust laws if it were true. Someone back me up on this?

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I've heard through the grapevine that if you send a letter of interest to your first choice school, they will then share this letter with the other medical schools you are applying to. Is this just rumor? I imagine it would violate antitrust laws if it were true. Someone back me up on this?

the schools dont know where you applied to until you are accepted...maybe once you are accepted they may show this to otehr schools to make sure you did not double up on LOIs

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If it's a letter of INTENT where you state that you will go there, then you might be in trouble after all the acceptances are in, but so long as it's just a letter expressing general interest that doesn't have anything specific they can't really do anything lol.

About the Ads

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
if i recall correctly, in the past adcom members on sdn have mentioned that some schools talk among each other about candidates. it doesn't seem likely, but it's conceivable that other schools might get word of your interest. write sincere letters of interest and in don't think there will be much to worry about.

i don't see how this would be an anti-trust issue. med school admissions isn't a market.

Zippership

the Burninator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
if i recall correctly, in the past adcom members on sdn have mentioned that some schools talk among each other about candidates. it doesn't seem likely, but it's conceivable that other schools might get word of your interest. write sincere letters of interest and in don't think there will be much to worry about.

i don't see how this would be an anti-trust issue. med school admissions isn't a market.

I don't mean a letter of general interest or general intent but a letter to a school saying that X medical school is your number one choice. If you send one of these, do schools share this kind of information? Oh, and anti-trust regulates competition. A few years ago medical schools got in trouble with anti-trust regulations for sharing financial aid details with each other and then all giving prospective students similar financial aid packages. It does happen with medical schools.

Mr. Belding

The Dude abides
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Bat country
Status (Visible)
the schools dont know where you applied to until you are accepted...maybe once you are accepted they may show this to otehr schools to make sure you did not double up on LOIs

Not true. At one of my interviews, my interviewer literally went through my app with me and it had every school I applied to on it. He went so far as to comment that I likely would not attend his school if I were accepted. I wish they didn't know.

They don't know if you've been accepted at that point.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Not true. At one of my interviews, my interviewer literally went through my app with me and it had every school I applied to on it. He went so far as to comment that I likely would not attend his school if I were accepted. I wish they didn't know.

They don't know if you've been accepted at that point.

what school was this at...from what i understand they are not supposed to know where you applied to unless you tell them...if it was a Texas school this is a different story

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
what school was this at...from what i understand they are not supposed to know where you applied to unless you tell them...if it was a Texas school this is a different story

they're not supposed to ask your religion either, but my stanford interviewer did. rejection one month later.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
they're not supposed to ask your religion either, but my stanford interviewer did. rejection one month later.

you should have asked the Dean for another interview...thats one question that is completely innappropriate and it is quite allowable for you to get another interview...in fact that question violates federal law

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
you should have asked the Dean for another interview...thats one question that is completely innappropriate and it is quite allowable for you to get another interview...in fact that question violates federal law

it was a pretty big turn-off for me. this guy had been at stanford for a while, and i took his interest in my religion as an indicator of something about stanford culture. fwiw, the religious demographics for palo alto are

"43.25% of the people in Palo Alto, CA are religious, meaning they affiliate with a religion. 28.71% are Catholic; 6.51% are Protestant; 1.21% are LDS; 2.40% are another Christian faith; 3.21% in Palo Alto, CA are Jewish; 0.07% are an eastern faith; 1.14% affilite with Islam." [http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Palo Alto_CA-RELIGION-0655282100.aspx]

i didn't think i'd be crazy about palo alto going in, and i left with mixed emotions. it just felt like a pretty non-diverse place (along ethnic, religious, and income lines), and it's not very urban. at the same time the weather is great and the scenery is nice. i've always felt in the bay area that the people around me are too focused on enjoying life to be concerned with the real world around them. in the end, i'd rather be in a northern, "real" city with a diverse population focused on real problems, than live in a country club.

i loved the school itself and thought my background would be a great match for it. it's arrogant of me, but i think stanford is stupid for rejecting me, not because i'm a "great" applicant compared to others (i'm not relative to many--my numbers are average for them), but because my background and interests are extremely well-suited to the school and they seem interested in finding that type of match. reading what others have said on sdn, i don't think i'm alone. like a scorned lover, i have no interest in giving somone a second chance if they were stupid enough to dump me.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.