• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Letter of Interest?

Torilynn92

5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hello!

What's the consensus on Letters of Interest? For example, if I'm status "File is Under Review" at all of the schools I've applied to for a long time (1 month+), would it be reasonable to send a letter to the school I'm most interested in re-iterating my desire to interview there? Or is that just overkill and annoying? Has anybody written Letters of Interest with good results?
    Thanks!

ndafife

7+ Year Member
    Jun 16, 2014
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Its overkill... You paid application fees, took the time to fill out a secondary, etc... They know you are interested. They know if they decide to offer you an interview you will come. Schools get thousands of applications for a few hundred spots (at most), I doubt too many people are going to seriously look at a LOI

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Waste of time.

Hello!

What's the consensus on Letters of Interest? For example, if I'm status "File is Under Review" at all of the schools I've applied to for a long time (1 month+), would it be reasonable to send a letter to the school I'm most interested in re-iterating my desire to interview there? Or is that just overkill and annoying? Has anybody written Letters of Interest with good results?
        Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users

lelz

Oct 16, 2014
          def contingent on the school (at my last interview, they said they definitely welcome LOI + updates if you haven't heard back for a few months). i think post-interview LOI + updates is more worth your time, again if the school is receptive to this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Goro

Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Jun 11, 2010
          1. Non-Student
            How can you interpret a non-binding contract? Or are you talking about "Dear Dr ___ of Drexel, I have been accepted to schools X, Y Z and AA, but I really really just really want to come attend your school!"?

In that case, they may think you're fishing for a scholarship.

All the time, every time, even with multiple acceptances?

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
            7+ Year Member
            Feb 12, 2012
            Best coast
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              How can you interpret a non-binding contract? Or are you talking about "Dear Dr ___ of Drexel, I have been accepted to schools X, Y Z and AA, but I really really just really want to come attend your school!"?

In that case, they may think you're fishing for a scholarship.

Kind of the second case, with WL schools. So this is not an effective strategy? "Even though I've been accepted at these places, if accepted I would without a doubt matriculate at your institution"

Generally just makes you come off as an entitled douche. "Look at how special I am, so many schools want me! Don't you want me too because I'm totally awesome."

I kind of hoped the tone would come off more as like, "I really liked them but I like you more, so if you gave me a shot I am all for it". Not being needy or greedy but more honest.

All of this is in regard to getting WL by my top choice....

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
              7+ Year Member
              Jul 27, 2013
              4th Dimension
                Kind of the second case, with WL schools. So this is not an effective strategy? "Even though I've been accepted at these places, if accepted I would without a doubt matriculate at your institution"

I kind of hoped the tone would come off more as like, "I really liked them but I like you more, so if you gave me a shot I am all for it". Not being needy or greedy but more honest.

All of this is in regard to getting WL by my top choice....
                I'm just telling it like it is mayne. Top choices generally know that you're pandering to them and it comes off as neutral at best and negative at worst.

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
                10+ Year Member
                Verified Expert
                Jun 11, 2010
                1. Non-Student
                  Concur. Love letters don't work, and if you don't believe me, ask the very wise @gyngyn.
                  I'm just telling it like it is mayne. Top choices generally know that you're pandering to them and it comes off as neutral at best and negative at worst.

gyngyn

Alta California
                  Staff member
                  Administrator
                  Volunteer Staff
                  Lifetime Donor
                  10+ Year Member
                  Verified Expert
                • Nov 4, 2011
                  1. Attending Physician
                    Hello!

Thanks!
                    Your LOI was your secondary fee. Anything more is just awkward.

ProbablyAPenguin

5+ Year Member
                    Mar 24, 2014
                      I attended a school that at the interview day said "if you're interested let us know" (implying during the cycle not as a waitlistee) - would a letter of interest be appropriate in that case?

gyngyn

Alta California
                      Staff member
                      Administrator
                      Volunteer Staff
                      Lifetime Donor
                      10+ Year Member
                      Verified Expert
                    • Nov 4, 2011
                      1. Attending Physician
                        I attended a school that at the interview day said "if you're interested let us know" (implying during the cycle not as a waitlistee) - would a letter of interest be appropriate in that case?
                        If you have been interviewed, waitlisted, and then accepted to a better (or cheaper!) school, contact after April 30th is a reasonable plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunflower18

Master of Naps
                        7+ Year Member
                        Oct 23, 2011
                        1. Medical Student
                          I've interviewed at a few schools (and been waitlisted at one) that said specifically, "Please write us update letters periodically, and if you are very interested in this school, please let us know so that we can factor that into future consideration. We are more likely to accept you off the waitlist if you demonstrate interest." But again, this is post-interview. I don't know if these types of letters will matter or work, but I figured if they are asking for them, it doesn't hurt to send them.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.