Letter of Interest

amikhchi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
  1. Medical Student
    Okay here's the deal, I want to send a few letters of interest to some of the schools that have not yet sent me an interview. I know it's late, and each day that goes on without an interview i die a little more, but that's life i guess...

Here's the problem, i have done the search of the forums, and all i find is other people posting questions as to what to put in a letter of interest. Can someone just list a few things or at least tell me if this is right (and i know there isn't a format or anything, just wondering if this is good to put in there)

name/info (amcas #?)
    state your interest and why you are interested in the school
    should you mention that you haven't been interviewed yet?
    update on current school information?

anything else?

i can't think of anything important to put on there, i wouldn't want to explain anythign bad on my app because that would just bring unnecessary attention to it.

thanks

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    Orange, CA
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Okay here's the deal, I want to send a few letters of interest to some of the schools that have not yet sent me an interview. I know it's late, and each day that goes on without an interview i die a little more, but that's life i guess...

Here's the problem, i have done the search of the forums, and all i find is other people posting questions as to what to put in a letter of interest. Can someone just list a few things or at least tell me if this is right (and i know there isn't a format or anything, just wondering if this is good to put in there)

name/info (amcas #?)

anything else?

i can't think of anything important to put on there, i wouldn't want to explain anythign bad on my app because that would just bring unnecessary attention to it.

thanks

Thats about right. Basically explain why you'll be good for their school and why they'll be good for you. Update them on acivities and grades and that should do it.

There is a sample on the bottom of my mdapps if you're curious what worked for me.

Now when I sent an LOI AFTER I interviewed I did actually address 2 weaknesses in my file, I wanted to explain them. But you're right in general you want to not draw attention to them.

About the Ads

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      Orange, CA
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Are Letters of Interest at this stage of the game going to do anything? (Not bashing on you for wanting to do it.....I'm wondering whether I should).

They can. It really depsnds on the school - most schools will rereview your file when you send an LOI so if you've been put on hold for interview or something it could help.

nellia

10+ Year Member
        Jan 19, 2008
        Illinois
        1. Pre-Medical
          They can. It really depsnds on the school - most schools will rereview your file when you send an LOI so if you've been put on hold for interview or something it could help.

so basically schools know right away when you send a letter of interest ? and they automatically rereview your file. i'm just wondering because i sent two last week ..

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Sep 4, 2006
          Orange, CA
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            so basically schools know right away when you send a letter of interest ? and they automatically rereview your file. i'm just wondering because i sent two last week ..
            It really depends on the school. But they do receive it and many rereview your file. I know UCSD acknowledged receipt of mine immediate and rereviewed within a week. While UCI never acknowledged it and as far as I know may not have rereviewed my file for months.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Sep 4, 2006
            Orange, CA
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              LOIs don't work. I keep getting rejections left and right, and LOIs make no difference whatsoever. :mad:

Don't get so discouraged. Under the right circumstances they can make a huge difference. Just remember that in your letter you need to get them to understand how they will benefit from letting you in and how you will benefit from them letting you in.

dd128

10+ Year Member
              May 30, 2007
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                LOIs don't work. I keep getting rejections left and right, and LOIs make no difference whatsoever. :mad:

It probably does seem like that sometimes, but I don't think they can hurt you that much. If you have a thoughtful letter honestly expressing your interest and why you are a good fit for the school it can only help you. I guess you just need to see if the benefits out weight the risks for the letters, and for the most part I don't see any harms. Good luck :luck:

KECKington

Membership Revoked
                Removed
                10+ Year Member
                Feb 6, 2008
                1. Medical Student
                  :thumbup:
                  It probably does seem like that sometimes, but I don't think they can hurt you that much. If you have a thoughtful letter honestly expressing your interest and why you are a good fit for the school it can only help you. I guess you just need to see if the benefits out weight the risks for the letters, and for the most part I don't see any harms. Good luck :luck:
                  Exactly what this poster said. I second the advice. Also if you want to get in BEG a little so they feel sorry for you adn just let you in.:thumbup:

About the Ads

xiaoyi666

The General
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jun 15, 2007
                  Miami
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Thats about right. Basically explain why you'll be good for their school and why they'll be good for you. Update them on acivities and grades and that should do it.

There is a sample on the bottom of my mdapps if you're curious what worked for me.

Now when I sent an LOI AFTER I interviewed I did actually address 2 weaknesses in my file, I wanted to explain them. But you're right in general you want to not draw attention to them.

hey alwaysaangel, thanks for posting that letter up. I think those letters are famous now!

xiaoyi666

The General
                    10+ Year Member
                    Jun 15, 2007
                    Miami
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      I'm sending one last letter of interest in hopes it does SOMETHING for me (specifically gets me an interview..) but I can't decide if I should email it or mail it at this point. What do you guys think??

I don't think mailing it will do anything special. If you email it, they can at least print out multiple copies. I was actually planning on going there and delivering it in person for mine but decided to email it anyways.

nellia

10+ Year Member
                      Jan 19, 2008
                      Illinois
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        I don't think mailing it will do anything special. If you email it, they can at least print out multiple copies. I was actually planning on going there and delivering it in person for mine but decided to email it anyways.

hahaha -- well i can't really deliver it in person since its like a 3 hour plane ride away from where i am.. but i'm sure that would be ideal ! so email is fine then ??

4success

10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Aug 3, 2006
                        1. Pre-Medical
                          I have a few questions that may sound stupid, but has been bothering me for the longest time!!!
                          1. is email preferred than snail mail for LOI?????
                          2. if you say the schoool is your first choice adn that u're interested in attending, does it become a letter of intent as opposed to letter of interest?
                          3. is sending the letter soon after you're placed on waitlist better? or wait a bit so that they'll review my file multiple times?
                          4. anyone know if there are books/ websites with examples or other tips on LOI?> i feel like they're like another personal statment in terms of importance and content.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!
                          and cheers to those spending many wonderful nights writing out these LOIs like me... glgl!

Dr Roboto

Indentured Servant
                          10+ Year Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          Feb 25, 2008
                          New New York City
                          1. Attending Physician
                            I have a few questions that may sound stupid, but has been bothering me for the longest time!!!
                            1. is email preferred than snail mail for LOI?????
                            2. if you say the schoool is your first choice adn that u're interested in attending, does it become a letter of intent as opposed to letter of interest?
                            3. is sending the letter soon after you're placed on waitlist better? or wait a bit so that they'll review my file multiple times?
                            4. anyone know if there are books/ websites with examples or other tips on LOI?> i feel like they're like another personal statment in terms of importance and content.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!
                            and cheers to those spending many wonderful nights writing out these LOIs like me... glgl!
                            1. Depends on how the school wants updates, if any. Call them.
                            2. Well, you used the word "interest" in the sentence, so it's a letter of interest.
                            3. Just send it. You have no idea when they'll review your file again and how often. You don't want to send your letter late and never have it read.
                            4. Do a search here. The information will be more than sufficient. But if you can, find alwaysangel's MDapps profile. She has a very well written letter. Hers may be a letter of intent, but the overall format and content still applies.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Sep 4, 2006
                            Orange, CA
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              could LOI hurt you if not well written???
                              aka. should it be taken as seriously as personal statemetns??

I doubt it could hurt you but if you aren't going to write it well then why bother - this is your hail mary to prove to them you belong in their school - if anything it should be BETTER than your personal statement.

Dushuodai

10+ Year Member
                              Sep 25, 2006
                                when writing letters of INTEREST to multiple schools, is it ok to use a rough template for each school? or should the letters be unique for every school. for instance most of the body is about the same, but obviously when you are giving your reasons for why you want to attend they will be different depending on the school.

so i guess my real question is. is it considered unethical to send multiple schools letters that are very similar?

scowdeva

MS I
                                10+ Year Member
                                Aug 1, 2007
                                Buffalo, NY
                                1. Medical Student
                                  when writing letters of INTEREST to multiple schools, is it ok to use a rough template for each school? or should the letters be unique for every school. for instance most of the body is about the same, but obviously when you are giving your reasons for why you want to attend they will be different depending on the school.

so i guess my real question is. is it considered unethical to send multiple schools letters that are very similar?

I don't think its unethical, you can be interested in multiple schools. If it's a letter geared towards what is so great about their school though, shouldn't the letter be pretty much in its entirety about that particular school? I guess I reused greetings and my closer sentence, but everything else was specific to each school...the body is made up of X, Y and Z that is perfect for you. Doesn't that change from school to school? Or maybe I just write mine to be much more specific.

Dushuodai

10+ Year Member
                                  Sep 25, 2006
                                    Yeah I'm basically talking about reusing openings, closings, and just certain generic phrases that describe interest. But of course everything else is geared and written specifically for the school. But if you put all the letters side by side, you could definitely see similarities (i.e. that paragraph Y was changed for the school but X and Z were kept constant).

I'm most likely thinking this through too much. Thanks for the input though!

ScutMonkey08

MD in May
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    Sep 26, 2007
                                    Wild West
                                    1. Medical Student

name/info (amcas #?)

anything else?

thanks

Don't you think applying to the school implies interest in that particular school? If you haven't gotten an interview then the school is probably not interested in you...sounds harsh but why waste your time and paper?

scowdeva

MS I
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      Aug 1, 2007
                                      Buffalo, NY
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        I agree with sending out letters of interest for schools where you have been waitlisted...sure it might not bump you to the top of the waitlist, but at least it shows that you are still interested in getting off the waitlist, and not just staying on it to see what happens.

I think at this point in the game, its a little late to send LOI to get an interview. I did send update letters right before Christmas to all the schools I still was hopeful for, and I got four more interview invites after that!

About the Ads
                                        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        7. This thread is locked.