letter of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone clarify exactly what a letter of interest is and when it should be sent?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i understand, you send a letter of intent usually when you are waitlisted and are positive that you want to go to that school.. you basically say that if taken off the waitlist that you will attend.

a letter of interest is, i think, before you had been decided on btu you really really like the school and want to attend... i myself have been considering sending a letter of interest to NYU.. also, a letter of interest is usually less binding i think? at least you shouldnt say " if accepted i will attend" unless you really mean it of course.

Your best option is to contact the school's office. Having said that, here is my best guess..

Is this:
A) Pre-interview and part of the application?
B) Or, is it post-interview?

If A, then this is most likely a letter describing why you want to go to that school. Diversity, culture, the hospitals it is affiliated with, research, etc. are some of the common reasons

If B, then reiterate A and also add what else has furthered your interest in that school since your interview. You can also include any other activities that you have participated in, since the interview. For example, a research presentation, a scholarship, a volunteering/tutoring activity, etc. Basically, anything that has made you a better candidate for that med-school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,
this is post interview. I had an interview about three weeks ago at a school that has been known to decide within two weeks and I have not yet heard anything. I , however, really want to go to this school. unfortunately I do not really have anything new to add to my file. is it ok to send a letter just stating what impressed me about the school and why I am so interested without any update about my activities.

Thanks,
this is post interview. I had an interview about three weeks ago at a school that has been known to decide within two weeks and I have not yet heard anything. I , however, really want to go to this school. unfortunately I do not really have anything new to add to my file. is it ok to send a letter just stating what impressed me about the school and why I am so interested without any update about my activities.

You certainly CAN do that, but most people I think would argue that such a letter would not be likely to sway things very far one way or another.

You certainly CAN do that, but most people I think would argue that such a letter would not be likely to sway things very far one way or another.
really? thats what i was going to do for nyu. my pre med dean said its ok too... *confused*

really? thats what i was going to do for nyu. my pre med dean said its ok too... *confused*

Sure, it's "OK;" it certainly won't hurt you. But I think it's assumed that you're interested in a school if you bothered to apply and travel to interview there; I doubt that sending a LOInterest is going to significantly alter a school's perception of you.

Realize that I'm being slightly two-faced about this; 3 days after interviewing at Baylor I sent them a letter that was half update/half LOInterest. Obviously, that turned out alright for me. But I really doubt that me expounding on how great their curriculum is got me in moreso than the aspects they already had and the info that I updated them with. If you could be particularly articulate about how unique aspects of their program would fit perfectly with what you want out of your medical education, then perhaps you would help yourself with that letter, and if you'd feel better for having sent one off so you can say you did everything you could at the end of the day, then more power to you. Also, LOInterests probably look stronger if you can point at some other acceptances that you have so that it doesn't look like you're desperate in writing them.

But there's a reason some schools flat-out say they don't want LOInterests, because the vast majority of them don't tell the schools anything they didn't already know. I'm just warning you guys to be realistic; an LOInterest isn't going to make your application.

They CAN have an effect. It depends on the school - it certainly can't hurt you so go for it. I wrote my way into my school (dean even said it was my persistence that impressed them haha). It really depends on the admissions committee.

If you really want to go to a school then tell them so - tell them what you will contribute and what they will do for you. This can be swaying for many schools. Plenty of people interview who would rather be elsewhere in some cases LOIs can prove that you really do want to be there and will be a great student and will give you a leg up.

They CAN have an effect. It depends on the school - it certainly can't hurt you so go for it. I wrote my way into my school (dean even said it was my persistence that impressed them haha). It really depends on the admissions committee.

If you really want to go to a school then tell them so - tell them what you will contribute and what they will do for you. This can be swaying for many schools. Plenty of people interview who would rather be elsewhere in some cases LOIs can prove that you really do want to be there and will be a great student and will give you a leg up.

I really think the bolded is key, this is very school-dependent. They certainly CAN help you, but I just don't want you guys to get your hopes up.

Also, from looking at your MDApps, it seems that a common theme you stressed was that your letters also served to provide updates on information they didn't already have. If you guys can think of ANYTHING relevant to update your schools with, I think that will make for a much stronger letter, even if it's not really medically relevant; for example, in my letter to Baylor I wrote about how the Catholic Student Group at my school held the first ever fall retreat this semester, and talked about how as an officer my involvement showed leadership qualities and the ability to work on a team. If you're going to write a letter, use the letters to not only tell them what you like about them, but if possible, use it to highlight what they should like about YOU.

I think you should go ahead and send that letter. You might want to look at the alwaysaangel's profile (Quoted). She did it!

you guys give really good advice.. i really didnt think about pointing out my other acceptances in the LOInterest... sadly i dont have anything to update them with..

you guys give really good advice.. i really didnt think about pointing out my other acceptances in the LOInterest... sadly i dont have anything to update them with..

Then you can still write them a letter, just make it concise (limit it to about a page) and make sure you carefully explain how you will fit into what they're trying to do in their mission. I wouldn't make your other acceptances a main point and I wouldn't name names, but you could close with something like, "I have been fortunate enough to receive offers of acceptance from two other institutions throughout my application process; however, considering all of the ways in which I feel that _____ Medical School is a great fit for me as I have outlined here, I remain highly interested in attending your school." Short and to the point, while simultaneously making you sound less desperate and more genuine in your interest in their school.

Also, from looking at your MDApps, it seems that a common theme you stressed was that your letters also served to provide updates on information they didn't already have. If you guys can think of ANYTHING relevant to update your schools with, I think that will make for a much stronger letter, even if it's not really medically relevant;
Definitely. But not JUST an update. Just saying I got a 4.0 this semester and added 3hrs/week to my volunteer experience isn't going to help.

A combo of why you want to go there and updates is ideal.

i really didnt think about pointing out my other acceptances in the LOInterest...

Don't do that. There is a whole thread on this. I'll see if I can find it.

Ultimately its your choice but I personally think it sounds arrogant. Not only that but it doesn't help. Tell them why you love their school and tell them you'd go there if they'd let you, the existence of other acceptances is irrelevant. And it just puts the wrong tone to point it out.

Here you go, they discuss whether you should mention acceptances in an LOI in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580840&highlight=accepted

Haha it appears we've had this discussion before :p

Anyways, I still don't think it's arrogant to mention your number of other acceptances; if you don't use the other schools' names, you don't run the risk of them being offended by the school thinking they're clearly better than the other places you've been accepted. Mentioning other acceptances has nothing to do with making the school think "if they're good enough for other schools, they're good enough for us," and everything to do with trying to not come off as desperate, IMHO.

I don't know, to me an LOI from someone without acceptances anywhere sounds desperate and makes me wonder if the applicant sent one out to every school they're applying to, meaning their interest in the school runs only as deep as the fact that the school is A medical school. An LOI from someone holding other acceptances makes it seem to me that the applicant is genuinely interested in attending that specific school.

Then again, I see your point in not trying to sound arrogant. Either choice is fine, I'm sure.

Mentioning other acceptances has nothing to do with making the school think "if they're good enough for other schools, they're good enough for us," and everything to do with trying to not come off as desperate, IMHO.

See this is where we differ. I think if you write it right it shouldn't sound desperate in the first place. It should sound professional and logical explaining how both you and they will benefit from your presence at their school. You're not begging for an acceptance you're explaining to them what you can do for them and what they can do for you.

If the letter sounds desperate then tacking on that you have other acceptances probably won't save it from that.

But yeah ultimately it comes down to the writers choice and it likely doesn't make that much of a difference.