Letter of Rec Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dominator39

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. I am applying to Washington U, and I am planning to submit another rec letter in addition to the three that they require. I already have a letter from a volunteer coordinator at the hospice where I have worked. But I was thinking that since Wash. U is a research slanted school, it might be better to get a letter from the prof in my research lab. The only problem is that I've only been working there for a month so I don't know how strong a letter from him would be. Should I go ahead and send the letter about my hospice volunteer work? :confused: Thanks any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the letter from the hospice volunteer coordinator.

i'd go with the hospice letter. the quality of the letter matters more than anything, and you simply won't get a very personal, heartfelt letter from a person that you've only known for a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the letter of recommend. from the hospice, if it is indeed a great letter. You also have to think about whether you are applying to a MD degree program or a MD/Ph.D. program. If your going for the latter, then a letter of recommend. from a professor of a lab that you are working in is important. Since you're hinting in your post that you are leaning towards a MD/PhD (correct if I wrong), then the best way to approach in getting a recommend. from that professor in your lab, is to be upfront of your intentions (e.g. you want to enter medical school) with that professor. You don't necessarlly need a letter from a professor whose lab you work in to get into med school.
But if MD/Ph.D is what you want and you have been working only for a month, my advice(s) is/are be involve in the lab as much as you can. Talk to the professor about starting on a semi- or independent project a few months down the line. Do projects that involves things that you have done in upper bio. labs. If there things that you have not done before, ask other people in the lab for assistant. It's possible to get a good recommend from a lab that you have worked for in 5 month but if you need the recommend. in the upcoming months, then just submit the recomm. from the professor at a later time if possible. :cool:

Where my doggzz at!!!-DMX

is it possible to send both? i don't know--i really think it depends on how many hours you've put into the lab and how you think your research advisor feels about you. if you don't have another lab/research recommendation that might be an interesting addition to your letters. i'm getting an extra letter from my research advisor for the summer and I've only worked there for 2 1/2 months. i put in a lot of time though and i feel like we've really gotten to know each other well over the summer. it really depends on the interaction you've had with your advisor. if i had to pick one or the other i would pick the hospice letter because they might be able to give more insight into your personality and commitment. i don't think you should feel like you need a letter from a research perspective, but if he could write you a good one, then it could only help.