• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
May 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey guys! I'm new to the optometry admissions process and I wanted to get optometry experience earlier this year, but it didn't work out due to COVID. Thankfully, my optometrist was nice enough to let me shadow and so far, I have done about 10 hours of shadowing with him. He is pretty much my only option in getting a letter of recommendation and I was wondering if you guys have advice on when it would be appropriate to ask? I haven't done too many hours with him yet, but I really wanted to submit my application ASAP (mid august the latest) because I don't see myself as a strong applicant. This would probably give him 3-4 weeks to write the letter, if I were to ask right now. Do you guys have any advice on whether now would be an appropriate time to ask (even though I shadowed him only for a few hours so far) and if 3-4 weeks is an appropriate amount of time to ask for a recommendation?

May 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I think you should ask him! Given the circumstances, he should understand and the fact that you are giving him a good amount of time to write the letter helps even more! I would give him your resume, personal statement, and write him a short note explaining why you value his perspective and some things that you learned while shadowing him. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 8, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Ask him- but keep shadowing him in the meantime. That a way he can still develop that relationship with you and sees you are truly interested in shadowing and not just the letter.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.