UnuglyDuckling

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Houston
Status
Pre-Optometry
What question do I need to be answering for my personal statement? My teacher has asked me to just answer the same essay question in the application. However, I am planning to apply for the 2011-2012 entering class and the application for OPTOMcas is not open yet so I have no idea what question to answer...any suggestions?

THANKS in advance

cheriemousse

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
"The essay for OptomCAS is "Please describe what inspires your decision for becoming an optometrist, including your preparation for training in this profession, your aptitude and motivation, the basis for your interest in optometry, and your future career goals."

Your essay should be limited to 4500 characters. For each school to which you are going to apply, you may tailor your essay on the abovementioned topic. After you save your essay(s), you may upload them to be sent to the appropriate designated schools in the "School Designations" section found at the end of the application. We encourage you to name each essay to correspond with the name of each school."

That's directly from my optomcas application. Good luck!

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Wait...you can upload multiple versions of your essay on Optomcas and send a diff one to each school?! dammit, I totally did not understand that part of Optomcas. I thought that's what the supplemental essays were more tailored towards the individual schools and that they also received my generic optomcas essay in addition...oh well. :-\

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Notice you can upload a number of personal essays, then, where you designate which schools will receive your application, you will attach an essay to each school, individually. I don't know how many applicants actually write more than one essay (I did not), but for those inclined to "tailoring," the opportunity to do so exists.

lnh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
UnuglyDuckling, are you concerned that the prompt might change for future cycles? If so, I highly doubt it. If anything, you might need to tweak it a little bit, but it should be relatively the same each year. :thumbup: