Letter of Rec Error...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desklamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying to a post-graduate program for PharmDs which I thought I conveyed very clearly to my letter writers. However, one of them has just informed me that he made a mistake when he sent his letter and had written the wrong program name several times in the letter. He didn't seem to think this was a big deal but this has caused me a great deal of stress.

This was obviously a mistake on his part. However he can no longer change the letter since he hit "submit". Any thoughts on how to proceed, or how much this is going to screw up my chances? From what I have been told, all other aspects of my application are strong. Thanks : ( freaking out about this right now and not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you can delete it, but you can send him another link to upload a new letter of recommendation. Once he completes it and you get ready to submit, you can pick which letter to use, so just don't pick the one he messed up on. They won't see the letters you don't submit to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying to 10 programs, are you having each of your recommenders write 10 different letters (denoting specific residency program name on each letter)?

I'm having each of my recommenders write one letter.

So I am applying to a post-graduate program for PharmDs which I thought I conveyed very clearly to my letter writers. However, one of them has just informed me that he made a mistake when he sent his letter and had written the wrong program name several times in the letter. He didn't seem to think this was a big deal but this has caused me a great deal of stress.

This was obviously a mistake on his part. However he can no longer change the letter since he hit "submit". Any thoughts on how to proceed, or how much this is going to screw up my chances? From what I have been told, all other aspects of my application are strong. Thanks : ( freaking out about this right now and not sure what to do.

Last year, I had each writer only write one letter. I feel like it's a burden for them to format 10 letters. The change may be minor, but it still can be a pain. I know it would be for me.

If you're applying to 10 programs, are you having each of your recommenders write 10 different letters (denoting specific residency program name on each letter)?

I'm having each of my recommenders write one letter.
I did individual requests. It is a lot but that is what they instruct us to do through school and all my letter writers are associated with the school/hospital the school is associated with so it is common practice here.

I don't think you can delete it, but you can send him another link to upload a new letter of recommendation. Once he completes it and you get ready to submit, you can pick which letter to use, so just don't pick the one he messed up on. They won't see the letters you don't submit to them.
This. i hope you can change the letter used after you submit though.

My letter writer thought there was an upload option or something and I had to send another request so it could be changed. Then i went through each residency individually and changed the selection and clicked save.

I had already submitted by then though :( so I don't know if it worked. I'm hoping....

Last edited:
I did individual requests. It is a lot but that is what they instruct us to do through school and all my letter writers are associated with the school/hospital the school is associated with so it is common practice here.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Got it fixed :)

But wow I didn't know we should do individual requests. Is this true even if you're applying to, say, 15 programs?

But wow I didn't know we should do individual requests. Is this true even if you're applying to, say, 15 programs?

You don't have to do individual requests. The person you quoted is saying that's what his school told him to do. This is something I think you should ask your letter writer what they prefer to do, which is what I did. Also, I know no one likes to think about this but if you have to scramble, you'll do it through PhORCAS. When I scrambled, I easily used the letters already available to upload to programs and didn't have to send out new requests since the process is extremely rushed.

It's probably not absolutely needed and you can always clarify like goldfish said. For me for example I am applying to 5 VA programs and 5 strictly am care programs most with a heavy academic component. My letter writers are going to just make slight changes to tailor them to those specific programs. In reality they'll probably only have 3 slightly different letters but then add then to the appropriate site.