letter of rec etiquette

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by algae, Jun 29, 2001.

1. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi - I need to get a letter of rec from a DO. Is it alright to be completely upfront and ask a DO if you can shadow them for the purpose of getting a letter? I've already had plenty of experience shadowing MD's so I really wouldn't be doing it for that experience alone. What do you think? Should you arrange the shadowing and then ask for a letter?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sean

sean Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I recently visited TOURO and their stated preference is that your letter of recommendation should be from someone who knows you, not someone who just met you. They say that a letter of recommendation for an MD you have worked with is far better than one from a DO that you just shadowed for a day. :)

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

I did that, shadowed to just get a letter. I see what Sean is saying, but at my school, you MUST have a letter from a DO. How long they have known you is no concern, just as long as you get a good rec from them. I guess since my local docs understood that requirement, they let me shadow them, and understood that I would probably be requesting a letter from them.

Billie

5. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called up a few local DO's in my area, got a few "no we dont need volunteers", and a few "we'll call you right back" and never did. Eventually, i found one DO that i called, stated that i was interested in osteopathic medicine, am thinking of applying to osteopathic school, and would like to know if its possible to shadow them a few hours a week. He agreed and i shadowed him for about 2 months, 5 hrs/week at his private practice. In the last week i asked him if he would write me a letter of recommendation for the osteopathic schools. He was very understanding and wrote a very nice letter. Might sound difficult to get a letter from a DO, but if you start early you shouldnt have much trouble. Just dont expect a stellar letter from someone you shadowed for a day or two. Take care.. :)

DOCTORSAIB