Jun 4, 2009
Status
Is it ok to request a letter of rec from my tennis coach? He's known me for years and I was one of his better players. Not to mention I've paid him thousands of dollars over the years (so he'd write me a good letter I would hope). Just wondering how dental schools would view a letter from a person of this occupation.

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
Is it ok to request a letter of rec from my tennis coach? He's known me for years and I was one of his better players. Not to mention I've paid him thousands of dollars over the years (so he'd write me a good letter I would hope). Just wondering how dental schools would view a letter from a person of this occupation.
High school coach or college coach? If it's a college coach I think it would be ok but maybe use it as that 4th letter. Make sure you still get a letter from a dentist, professor, and then probably another professor that you had a good mentor relationship with.

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
Speaking of letters of recommendation, how far in advance do we need to start asking for these? I suppose now is probably a good time.

Also, have you all had the chance to read your letter before it is submitted? I know that that specific person has to submit it but I am curious if it's a standard thing to get the opportunity to read it-- or if this is a cliche thing to do.

Jun 4, 2009
Status
High school coach or college coach? If it's a college coach I think it would be ok but maybe use it as that 4th letter. Make sure you still get a letter from a dentist, professor, and then probably another professor that you had a good mentor relationship with.
He was my personal coach before I started college. He would be my 3rd letter because the 3rd letter I was counting on turns out won't be a very good letter, so I've decided not to request it from him.

Mar 26, 2010
Kentucky
Status
Pre-Dental
Honestly, as long as one of the others is from a prof and the other from a dentist that you shadowed, I do not see it as a problem to get a letter from your tennis coach. He will be likely to have a different perspective on your determination, hard work, etc, than your professors and dentist. With the thousands of applicants every year, it's hard to set yourself apart and I feel like getting a coach to write a letter would be something different.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
A letter from a tennis coach would be about as valuable as one from your neighborhood mechanic.

dentalstudent00

be patient...
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i agree with doctoothache. personally, i just emailed all the professors that gave me A's and made sure to include at least 3 science (i used plant bio, biochemistry, gen bio, upper-division finance, and dentist). it might have been overkill, but that was exactly what i was looking for. there is no shame in maximizing the competitiveness of your application

Nateftw

7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
It depends on where you apply to...But the places that I am applying, they all require two letters from science professors, and one other from a non-science professor. So just make sure you have the science professor letters, which I assume you do seeing that you stated that the coach would be your 3rd letter.

solstice

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Most of the schools ask for two science Prof letter and some schools allow you ti substitute one with non-sci prof. Plus one for your dentist. And if you are doing rec letters through health proffession of your school you can not submit more than 3 letters.

I agree that your coach letter will not be as valuable to D schools and they may not even read it.