Letter of Rec from Dean or Professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDLife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am a long time reader,first time poster.

I am in the process of filling out application to the various programs. I was wondering which is more beneficial. Submitting a letter from a science professor or a dean (both knows me equally well).

Will I be making a terrible mistake if the school requests for letters coming from a sciences professor, but instead i submit a letter from the dean?

MDLife

Members don't see this ad.

If the school specifically asks for a LOR from a science professor, why would you send one from a dean? You think "dean" sounds cooler than science professor? ;)

I think places like it when applicants read and follow instructions. That said, I would say the best thing to do is send both letters unless there is a strict limit on the number of LORs you can submit. As my adviser was fond of saying (about pretty much everything), "the more, the better!"

Best of luck,
Gator

Just follow the instructions.

However, a dean's letter could work, if and only if he/she happens to teach and you've taken their class. This circumstance is rare at big universities, but is common at very small schools.