Letter of Rec from Linguistics Professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i unfortunately never really got to know any of my science professors (stupid!!! i know) i was just not planning to apply to any schools that require a professor letter of rec, but i realize how much i'm missing out, since a lot of them do (i have 2 employers and 1 pharmacist). i do have a linguistics professor that i know that would write me one. will this letter of rec hurt me though? will schools ask "why don't they have a science one?"

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying for schools, I vaguely remember science professor LoRs were much preferred over non-science LoRs. I know few schools didn't have a preference, but for the most part, science professor LoR was the way to go.

i unfortunately never really got to know any of my science professors (stupid!!! i know) i was just not planning to apply to any schools that require a professor letter of rec, but i realize how much i'm missing out, since a lot of them do (i have 2 employers and 1 pharmacist). i do have a linguistics professor that i know that would write me one. will this letter of rec hurt me though? will schools ask "why don't they have a science one?"

Some schools may say a letter from a science professor is preferred but not necessary. If you can get a letter from a science professor that knows you well, then that's good. Otherwise I would think a letter from a non-science professor would be fine as long as they are strong.