Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letter of Rec from MD or PHD

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by 218303, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 218303

Medical Student
    I appreciate the info from the last thread I posted. You have all been a big help. I had one more question. Do you think it's better to do research with a PHD or an MD? Would a letter of rec for Ophthalmology research look just as good coming from a PHD as from an MD? The reason I ask is that I do research with a PHD, and someone mentioned to me that it might be in my best interest to go do research with an MD.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alleyesonme

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends. If the PhD is doing some awesome and promising research, you may have a good chance to get a few publications. However, if you do not anticipate this, I feel that doing research with a well-known (aka Big-Wig) MD is more desirable. As I alluded to in the previous post, research with an MD will allow the doctor to get to know you well, which will result in a much more insightful and effective LOR. In my opinion, the 2 ophtho LORs are the key to an excellent application. A letter from a PhD will not have the same effect as a letter from an MD. Remember that ophtho is a small, tight-knit field, where everyone knows each other.