Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

letter of rec from non-science profs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chapinsita, Sep 7, 2002.

1. chapinsita

chapinsita from premed to med!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone submitted LOR from a non-science prof? I had a great prof who loved my work and also happens to be the director of the writing dept at my University. She asked me if I would consider her for a letter of rec, and I am sure that she would write a great one....but I am a bio major.....

The other two letters of rec would be from my PI and my bio prof.

Also, can I submit a LOR from a volunteer coordinator if it is Med-related?

Thanks for your help, I am quite worried as to how my choice LOR writers will affect my application.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wolferman

wolferman Member?
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Somes schools (like UMDNJ New Jersey) require 2 science and 1 liberal arts LORs. So it may be a good idea for you to take advantage of this opportunity depending on what schools you apply.

4. chapinsita

chapinsita from premed to med!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks wolferman,
    I guess you are right, I should look at the individual schools and what they prefer. Atleast I have some time to think about it since I am going to be applying this year and secondaries won't be due for a while.....

5. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member
    7+ Year Member

I am not sure how your letter of rec system is at your school, but my school sends out a packet w/ a max of 6 letters. One of those letters was a non-sci prof. A good number of schools want to see how you do in the non-sciences, so why not include it? Even for the schools that don't, they will probably look a it regardless, so it couldn't hurt. Also, check to see that by having the person submit a letter of rec now, the letter will not be too old by the time you apply. If it is too old, just politely say thanks and that you will be contacting her in the future when you are ready to apply.

Since your letter writer is the department head, you probably don't have to worry about the dilemma of PhD or TA writing the letter. Good luck.