Letter of rec from PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cke11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working for a neurologist for the past 8 months in research at a major academic institution on the east coast. I have already submitted my app and been verified and did not get a letter of rec from him, and chose not too because he really isn't there that often, and I'm not sure he would be able to write me a strong letter. I already have a letter from my head coach and from my committee. Question would be does this look bad to not have a letter from your PI and can we even add letters after we've bee verified?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely don't think it would hurt your case to have a letter from your PI, especially if you've had any publications/presentations for his research when working with him. If you can, try to strike up a conversation with him and then ask him nicely to get a LOR.

And yes, you can add letters even after you've been verified. However you have to go through the AMCAS application portal and choose the schools you want the letter sent to individually once the letters have been submitted to AMCAS. It's a pain in the @$$ to do, which is why they recommended that you get all your letters in at once.

I wouldn't worry about it. PI letters are mostly not required unless you are applying for MD/PhD. Just be prepared to talk about your research at the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely don't think it would hurt your case to have a letter from your PI, especially if you've had any publications/presentations for his research when working with him. If you can, try to strike up a conversation with him and then ask him nicely to get a LOR.

And yes, you can add letters even after you've been verified. However you have to go through the AMCAS application portal and choose the schools you want the letter sent to individually once the letters have been submitted to AMCAS. It's a pain in the @$$ to do, which is why they recommended that you get all your letters in at once.
I wouldn't worry about it. PI letters are mostly not required unless you are applying for MD/PhD. Just be prepared to talk about your research at the interview.
I don't know if it matters but this is a full time position, I have been working for this PI, as I'm not in college and just doing research. So I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I thought I'd share that in case that makes any difference.

If this is a full-time position a LOR would look good--but it isn't necessary if you don't feel like approaching him. Like I asked earlier, did you present/publish under this PI? If so, not having a LOR from him would be a waste.

If this is a full-time position a LOR would look good--but it isn't necessary if you don't feel like approaching him. Like I asked earlier, did you present/publish under this PI? If so, not having a LOR from him would be a waste.
Okay that makes sense. I don't have any pubs/posters but my PI in college I have in my committee letter and I have posters and an upcoming pub. I guess I'm wondering if the schools already have my committee letter, which fulfills all schooos requirements, if I have him write a letter by the end of this month or so will it effect my timeline of being complete or will it not matter and just be added to my file?

I don't know if it matters but this is a full time position, I have been working for this PI, as I'm not in college and just doing research. So I'm not sure if that makes any difference but I thought I'd share that in case that makes any difference.

It shouldn't make a difference. Again, PI/employment supervisor letters are optional. You already have a school committee's letter, which itself should satisfy the medical school admission requirements. I am afraid that additional individual letters will not be read and evaluated outside of the committee letter.

Last edited:
Okay that makes sense. I don't have any pubs/posters but my PI in college I have in my committee letter and I have posters and an upcoming pub. I guess I'm wondering if the schools already have my committee letter, which fulfills all schooos requirements, if I have him write a letter by the end of this month or so will it effect my timeline of being complete or will it not matter and just be added to my file?

If you already have this then, like @DameJulie said above, you're golden. PI letters look nice, they aren't necessary though, and since you already have one in a committee packet and all your publications/posters listed on your applications then you're good to go.

It shouldn't make a difference. Again, PI/employment supervisor letters are optional. You already have a school committee's letter, which itself should satisfy the medical school admission requirements. I am afraid that additional individual letters will not be read and evaluated outside of the committee letter.
If you already have this then, like @DameJulie said above, you're golden. PI letters look nice, they aren't necessary though, and since you already have one in a committee packet and all your publications/posters listed on your applications then you're good to go.
Okay awesome. That's what I was thinking. I appreciate the help!

Reactions: 1 user