SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letter of Rec. From Professor Who Does Research At Medicl School In Your State?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Confused 20, May 5, 2007.

1. Confused 20

Confused 20 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Hello, I am a student who attends the University of Connecticut. One of my professors is also a researcher at the University of Connecticut Health Center (which is of course located in the same building as the University of Connecticut School of Medicine). If I received a letter of recommendation from her, will this improve my chances of gaining admittance in to the University of Connecticut School of Medicine? IF so, how much? Will it improve my chances a little, moderately, or a great deal?

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. 45408

45408 aw buddy 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2004
    I doubt it would hold any more weight than another letter from a typical undergrad PI. The quality of the letter is usually more important than who wrote it. Of course, the person writing it DOES matter (e.g., a TA saying you're his best student ever is faint praise compared to a tenured prof saying you're his best student ever), but one professor at an undergrad versus another at a med school is probably not that significant. Focus on getting good letters from people that know you well.

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    The Big Easy
    Weightwise, I doubt it would be any more significant when it actually counts in terms of factoring in for your decision. However, if the writer is say a bigwig in the admissions department it might get looked at more thoroughly but as Prowler said, dont ask the writer to write it for you on the sake of putting it on a whim that he may have more clout than someone else who has probably more and better things to say about you who isnt on faculty.