Letter of rec: Individual letters or letter packet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strivetosucceed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in a slight dilemma regarding letters of recommendations. My school's career center doesnt have a pre-med advisory committee but in the letter packet, they include the letters you ask for and a coversheet mentioning that you have waived your rights to see the letter.

I noticed that a lot of medical schools have a max 4 letter requirement for individual letters. However, if you submit a letter packet to those same schools, you can have more than 4 letters in it. I have a total of 6 letters (2 science, 1 nonscience, 1 research/PI, 1 physician, and 1 overall letter by the vice provost of honors who I am close to).

Should I submit a letter packet to all these schools so that all 6 letters can be submitted or should I just go according to the 4 max individual letter requirement and then save the other 2 as update letters for later on in the process--I've heard some people do this? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same dilemma. Anyone have experience with this?