Letter of Rec Key Points

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by wolverine33, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. wolverine33

wolverine33 DentalShmental

Pre-Dental
    Basically I asked a professor for a letter of rec and she asked me if there were any key points I wanted her to talk about. I really have no idea what to tell her. Does anyone have a similar experience or know specifics of what schools might be looking for?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HaverfoodsDDS

HaverfoodsDDS 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ask your writer to talk about things schools can't tell from your transcript.....they can see your grades already they don't need to read that you got a good grade in their class. Have them talk about your characteristics that would make you a good dentist outside of the classroom.

4. BobbyBeavis

BobbyBeavis 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When I recently obtained my first LoR, there was basically an interview he had me do. I was not prepared at all, but being very skilled socially, I just thought on my toes and killed it.

I couldn't tell you what schools look for, but Haverfoods seems to be spot on. After my professor ran through his questions, he asked if there was anything that I wanted him to include. I told him how I was raised in a single-parent home which attributes to my compassion for the underserved (which is also shown by my volunteer work) and how I wanted to eventually go into public health because of this passion.

5. Mufasha

Mufasha 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I submitted a draft of my personal statement along with a resume and a post-graduation update (I'd been doing informal post-bacc). I think if the writer sees how you're presenting yourself to dental schools, it could help them tailor their letter and in the end, make for a more cohesive application.

In terms of the key points, I'd consider what your relationship is like. If you did something unique with them (e.g., research, served on a committee with them, etc.), definitely request that they emphasize that experience. If not, figure out what you want the dental school to know about you as a person. You're actually lucky your professor asked for direction because it puts you in the driver's seat, at least to some degree.

BobbyBeavis likes this.

About the ads