Letter of Rec Key Points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMN OMFS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I asked a professor for a letter of rec and she asked me if there were any key points I wanted her to talk about. I really have no idea what to tell her. Does anyone have a similar experience or know specifics of what schools might be looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I asked a professor for a letter of rec and she asked me if there were any key points I wanted her to talk about. I really have no idea what to tell her. Does anyone have a similar experience or know specifics of what schools might be looking for?

Ask your writer to talk about things schools can't tell from your transcript.....they can see your grades already they don't need to read that you got a good grade in their class. Have them talk about your characteristics that would make you a good dentist outside of the classroom.

When I recently obtained my first LoR, there was basically an interview he had me do. I was not prepared at all, but being very skilled socially, I just thought on my toes and killed it.

I couldn't tell you what schools look for, but Haverfoods seems to be spot on. After my professor ran through his questions, he asked if there was anything that I wanted him to include. I told him how I was raised in a single-parent home which attributes to my compassion for the underserved (which is also shown by my volunteer work) and how I wanted to eventually go into public health because of this passion.

I submitted a draft of my personal statement along with a resume and a post-graduation update (I'd been doing informal post-bacc). I think if the writer sees how you're presenting yourself to dental schools, it could help them tailor their letter and in the end, make for a more cohesive application.

In terms of the key points, I'd consider what your relationship is like. If you did something unique with them (e.g., research, served on a committee with them, etc.), definitely request that they emphasize that experience. If not, figure out what you want the dental school to know about you as a person. You're actually lucky your professor asked for direction because it puts you in the driver's seat, at least to some degree.

Reactions: 1 user