Letter of Rec - MD vs. DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
answer received, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The most important thing in a letter is definitely not their degree, but the content of the letter. If your inpatient attending can write you a strong letter that details what you did while inpatient (hence it's not generic) and voice their support, I'd go with that. If the outpatient physician can offer you that, then go with that letter. That being said, you did mention that you did not honor inpatient IM - if you think the inpatient physician can write you a good letter that would be very beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Use the DO. You don't want to not have a single inpatient letter in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure this is good advice. A letter from a DO with no real university appointment (adjunct assistant clinical doesn't count) might well be ignored by an allopathic PD.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure this is good advice. A letter from a DO with no real university appointment (adjunct assistant clinical doesn't count) might well be ignored by an allopathic PD.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Maybe if you're applying to Mayo, Cleveland Clinc, etc., but otherwise this is a blanket statement and an untrue one at that.

Maybe if you're applying to Mayo, Cleveland Clinc, etc., but otherwise this is a blanket statement and an untrue one at that.
Not even Cleveland Clinic. Quite D.O. friendly there and knowledgeable of D.O. schools in the region, and there are more than a few.