Letter of Rec - Ophthalmologist?

El Paraguayo

Feb 14, 2013
  1. Pre-Optometry
So I worked in an ophthalmologist's office last summer, and haven't spent much time shadowing optometrists.

Do you think schools would mind if I had a letter of recommendation from an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist?

optometrygirl29

7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2012
Puerto Rico
  1. Optometry Student
depends on where you go, the dean of admissions at NOVA told me he could care less about any ophthalmology experience and just blows it off when looking at an application. I dont know if that is actually true but if i were you i would get to shadowiing ASAP! i also worked at an ophthalmology office but after hearing what the dude at NOVA said i didnt bother getting a LOR. which kinda sucked bc the ophthalmologist i worked for was from HARVARD! and i thought it would have looked good on my resume

sbopt87

Mar 2, 2012
  1. Pre-Optometry
You need one from an optometrist. If you worked for an ophthalmologist and have a better relationship with them, then use him to your advantage too and get a letter from him. Ask the opthamologist if you know a good optometrist I can shadow. My doctor I worked for ended up setting me up with quiet a few people, it worked out nicely.

About the Ads

Textbookversion

7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2012
  1. Medical Student
depends on where you go, the dean of admissions at NOVA told me he could care less about any ophthalmology experience and just blows it off when looking at an application. I dont know if that is actually true but if i were you i would get to shadowiing ASAP! i also worked at an ophthalmology office but after hearing what the dude at NOVA said i didnt bother getting a LOR. which kinda sucked bc the ophthalmologist i worked for was from HARVARD! and i thought it would have looked good on my resume

Short-man syndrome

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.