Apr 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey there, I asked one of my professors for a letter of recommendation, but it turns out that she isn’t a tenured professor at the university I graduated from. Instead, she’s a postdoc and “project scientist” that taught a neuroscience course on campus. Would her letter of recommendation still be valid as a science professor? After all she did teach a upper division neuroscience course for a full quarter. Let me know, thanks!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey there, I asked one of my professors for a letter of recommendation, but it turns out that she isn’t a tenured professor at the university I graduated from. Instead, she’s a postdoc and “project scientist” that taught a neuroscience course on campus. Would her letter of recommendation still be valid as a science professor? After all she did teach a upper division neuroscience course for a full quarter. Let me know, thanks!
It is acceptable

About the Ads
Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
What about if it's a graduate student teaching the course? It's a 2 credit bio research course that bio major seniors have to take.
Depends on schools, but I would avoid getting letters from anyone without a terminal degree.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
What about if it's a graduate student teaching the course? It's a 2 credit bio research course that bio major seniors have to take.
The graduate student is likely the teaching assistant officially even though they instructed for the entire course. You shoyld have the grad student write a letter, sign it and then have grad student get it co-signed by a faculty, be it the official course faculty, their faculty advisor, dept chair ot whomever.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.