Letter of Rec Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how the letters of recommendations work. I have a letter of recommendation file service at my school that compiles all my letters and sends them out to the schools that I apply to. My question is that does the letter writer have to make mutliple copies of the letter addressed to each specific school that I apply to or do they make just one letter generically addressed to all schools? Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

usually the letters get sent to AADSAS only where your transcripts will be sent. you should check with each school you apply to however to make sure they don't want a copy of the transcript sent directly to them as well.

You should ask your file letter service to make sure.

But at my school (UC Davis)...

The letters of recommendation are sent by the recommenders to the letter service.

And then a faculty person will interview you (the applicant), and write a committee letter, basically summarizing what the letters of recommendation said and adding some more tidbits that they learned about you.

Then, you'll give the letter service a big envelope addressed to AADSAS, and a letter of recommendation matching form.

The letter service should send all the letters (including the committee) letter to AADSAS.

You're done from there on. AADSAS should make copies of the application and letters, and send those off to the schools you designated on your AADSAS application.​

Like I said, double check with your school. Ask your pre-dental advisor if you have one.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how the letters of recommendations work. I have a letter of recommendation file service at my school that compiles all my letters and sends them out to the schools that I apply to. My question is that does the letter writer have to make mutliple copies of the letter addressed to each specific school that I apply to or do they make just one letter generically addressed to all schools? Thanks for the help

Ok first of all...you do not have to use AADSAS. I used a system similar to what is at your school. The letter writer does not need to make multiple copies. The service at your school takes care of it.When the letters come in they put them on file and then when you need them...they make copies and send them to each individual school you apply to. The best part is that you can start getting your letters now and don't have to wait for AADSAS to open up. Also AADSAS tends to be really slow getting LOR out.