Letter of Rec Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdougherty25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I'm just starting my application process. One major question I have is in regards to letter of recommendations. I am currently chapter president of my fraternity during my undergraduate studies and deal extensively with alumni as a result, especially those on our Board of Trustees. Over the past year, I have worked very extensively with the president of our Board of Trustees and I know he would be able to write me a very great and personal letter of recommendation about my leadership, hard work and other qualities. I know for letters of recommendation you are supposed to ask those who obviously can speak very highly of you and the qualities you possess, but would it be "frowned upon" if I were to have him write a letter of recommendation for me for medical school? The only reason why I ask is because every where I seem to look on the internet it seems to say to only ask those who are professors, volunteer coordinators, or current doctors that you have worked with, they know you well, etc. I guess I just want other people's input on if they have had success with a similar situation or if you all would think this would be fine to do.

Also, a simpler question, I plan on getting 2 letters of rec from separate professors, one from my volunteering coordinator at the hospital I volunteer at, and another from this alumnus. I know you can submit a max of 10 letters, but do you think that these four letters would be sufficient (granted I know all of these people could write me great letters). If need be I feel like I could get one or two more letters, but I don't want too many at the same time. Thanks for all the responses and everything! This whole process is burdensome/stressful as I'm sure you all know.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're submitting individual letters (not a committee letter), you'd be well-served to get letters from at least two science professors and one non-science professor. With those you would likely meet the letter requirements for any school.

I think that based on your description the fraternity letter could be very helpful. I'm sure some will tell you not to use it because of a potential bias against the social Greek scene, but if it's a big part of your application anyway I don't think it could hurt.

Ok great thanks. I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention that this alumnus is also a county judge so he has a honorable profession.

Ok great thanks. I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention that this alumnus is also a county judge so he has a honorable profession.

Just make sure he gets that in his letter when he says who he is.