1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter of Rec timing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Archdelux, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Hey everyone.

I just finished a research stint at a pharmacology lab today. By the way, thanks for the advice to everyone who responded to my previous question--I will be an author in the publication :D

I am going to start Sophomore year in the fall, so there is still lots of time before I submit my AMCAS; and I definitely want to have this prof's letter as a rec. Unfortunately, he is in Texas, and I go to school in New York and next summer I will be abroad; so I will not see him at all. When should I ask him for a LOR? I will be keeping in touch with him, since we are both going to write the paper, but it will be through e-mail mostly.

Asking him sooner means I will be fresh in his memory; but then should i just ask him to give it to me instead of submitting it somewhere? Also, this will be good since I can then use the rec for getting other research positions, etc.

However, it seems that it would be more appropriate to ask closer to the time that I apply to med schools. However, then I wouldn't be able to use his rec to get other research positions.

Suggestions? Comments? Advice?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RokChalkJayhawk

RokChalkJayhawk Muck Fizzou
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

You're going to be a sophomore? Honestly I think you should wait. Getting a letter this early, the Professor can't say too much about you. Obviously it's good that you got published, but I think it's wayyy too early in the game to get a LOR.

4. keepdreaming

keepdreaming Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

i dont see any harm in asking him for a LOR, especially if you know it'll be a strong one despite your sophomore status. if you're like to prove yourself more to this professor keep in contact with the professor via email regularly that way he/she will remember you

5. MadHopsMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Tell the prof to write a letter for you NOW...store it in Interfolio.com for a year...and then send it next year when you apply.

if you could ask her to date the letter for next year, that would be even better haha

6. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Thanks for the advice guys!

What do you think about this:

What if I ask him for a letter now for the purpose of applying to research programs in the academic year at my home institution. Then, I will continue to keep in contact; and after a year (at the begining of my Junior year), I will ask for a LOR for the purpose of applying to med school.

Is this very unusual? Are most professors fine with writing two recs (I assume, he will likely add to / edit the first one). This way, he will not really 'forget' about me since he will have his previous letter to look back on and add to.

What do you think?

7. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think this will be fine. He will have the old one on his file. For the second one, he just have to make slight modifications.