Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should typically be included in the LOR?
What does the board even want to see in the LOR?

Also, is it okay if I get one from an optometrist and another from a pre-health advisor? Or is it important that I get one from a science professor?

Any input will be helpful. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What should typically be included in the LOR?
What does the board even want to see in the LOR?

Also, is it okay if I get one from an optometrist and another from a pre-health advisor? Or is it important that I get one from a science professor?

Any input will be helpful. Thank you. :)

Schools typically don't want to see a letter from your advisor unless you're doing a committee letter, you should get one from a professor. I would ask for a letter from someone who knows you well and beyond just a student that has taken their class. If the only thing a professor can write for you is that you got a good grade and attended class every day, it's a weak letter because your class performance is shown on the transcripts. I recommend asking someone who can vouch for your skills and work ethic, such as a PI or someone you were involved with more than just being a student. If that's not an option, go with a professor who you think can write most about your personality.