Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I currently have 4 letters of rec and the primary school I am interested in accepts up to 6. Would it be alright to have my friend's Dad (who has known me his entire life) who is a Doctor write me a letter? Even if I haven't shadowed him or anything? He still knows me extremely well.

About the Ads

starlite911

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it would help you in any way. Better to have 4 solid letters then add in an additional useless one. Most MD schools don't accept/want letters from physicians you have shadowed, yet alone ones that you just happen to know.

Reactions: j306c954
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think it would help you in any way. Better to have 4 solid letters then add in an additional useless one. Most MD schools don't accept/want letters from physicians you have shadowed, yet alone ones that you just happen to know.
That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What about a neurosurgeon that I shadowed for a day? I remember him offering to write me one, but I never asked because I wasn't quite sure what all he could say since I only shadowed him for a day.

(The 4 letters I have currently are very solid, I just figure it wouldn't hurt if there were additional ones that look good as well)

Jul 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, and final question...I assisted with research in my cousin's lab (she runs it, has a PhD in biology) over the summer. I was going to ask her, but wasn't sure if I would be able to since she is family.

gonnif

Only 182 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
(The 4 letters I have currently are very solid, I just figure it wouldn't hurt if there were additional ones that look good as well)
Why do people assume that an action will not have an impact? It can hurt as is in the impression it makes on an adcom member. Do you want someone to read these solid letters, have a great impression of you, then see a couple of worthless fluff letters? Do you want that to be the thing they possibly remember the most? Ot gets them wondering if your insecure depending on family friends for recommenations?

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Oh, and final question...I assisted with research in my cousin's lab (she runs it, has a PhD in biology) over the summer. I was going to ask her, but wasn't sure if I would be able to since she is family.
This doesn't sound like a fluff letter to me, assuming you actually got your hands dirty in lab. It shouldn't matter that it is your cousin, though it may sound less objective to adcomms, I don't know.

Were there any other superiors in the lab who could write or cowrite with your cousin? If you really want another letter, I mean.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This doesn't sound like a fluff letter to me, assuming you actually got your hands dirty in lab. It shouldn't matter that it is your cousin, though it may sound less objective to adcomms, I don't know.
That's is half of why it is fluff. The other half is, despite what so many applicants believe otherwise, unless you have worked towards a research project under a PI, lab letters are not particularly important. Most med schools want letters from faculty you have had a class with. This letter would be from 1) a relative 2) non faculty and 3) not from a course instructor

Reactions: Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Doctors are incapable of writing anything but glowing testimonials, and NOT the evaluations that we really want to see.

Pay attention: they don't add anything.

I currently have 4 letters of rec and the primary school I am interested in accepts up to 6. Would it be alright to have my friend's Dad (who has known me his entire life) who is a Doctor write me a letter? Even if I haven't shadowed him or anything? He still knows me extremely well.

avgn

Lv 30, HP 85
2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2015
Blackthorn City
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net
Status
Medical Student
Doctors are incapable of writing anything but glowing testimonials, and NOT the evaluations that we really want to see.

Pay attention: they don't add anything.
Interesting. So you've never seen a practicing MD write one of those semi-lukewarm, send a Jedi message that the student is not really all that great kind of LOR? Or even a "Dude this kid just bugged me for one, here it is" type?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
In over 12 years on the Adcom, I have seen exactly one bad LOR from an MD.

Interesting. So you've never seen a practicing MD write one of those semi-lukewarm, send a Jedi message that the student is not really all that great kind of LOR? Or even a "Dude this kid just bugged me for one, here it is" type?

Reactions: avgn

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
That's is half of why it is fluff. The other half is, despite what so many applicants believe otherwise, unless you have worked towards a research project under a PI, lab letters are not particularly important. Most med schools want letters from faculty you have had a class with. This letter would be from 1) a relative 2) non faculty and 3) not from a course instructor
If OP's cousin is "in charge" of the lab, wouldn't that make them a PI or at least an investigator? I've seen advice on these forums that evidence of using your connections to get experience would actually look good. With that said, I agree that it would be a better idea to have someone else in the lab write or cowrite.

And yes, instructor letters are vital. OP already fulfilled the 4 required letters.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
If OP's cousin is "in charge" of the lab, wouldn't that make them a PI or at least an investigator? I've seen advice on these forums that evidence of using your connections to get experience would actually look good. With that said, I agree that it would be a better idea to have someone else in the lab write or cowrite.

And yes, instructor letters are vital. OP already fulfilled the 4 required letters.
If the OP had a formal research arrangement it might have some value. But being around the lab of a relative for the summer is not worth much. Same as applicants who get a letter from any doc they shadow informally.

Besides, there seems to be this perception among applicants that getting any little bit, however small and trivial it may be, should be gotten without any regard for negative impact it might have.

1) Schools get thousands of applicants leading to tens of thousand of pages of material.
2) Someone who reads a file from an applicants is time pressured and often an applicant is evaluated from an overall "impression" of the app. Indeed, imagine the first letter in the file the adcom reads is something that starts with something about his/her cousin. Is that going to shadow the readers impression for everything else? Is it going to sound like nepotism? Is it just gonna make the reader rush thru the file leaving clouding the impression.
3) Is the formula 4 solid letters + 2 "fluff" > 4 solid letters alone? I think 4 solid letters alone > 4 + 2 fluff

Reactions: j306c954 and p0gono

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
The letter would be worthless. Especially if he starts off "I have known this boy since he was in training diapers"
I want you to know that I laughed out loud when I read the "since he was in training diapers." part.

About the Ads