Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter of Rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by j306c954, Aug 25, 2015.

1. j306c954

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I currently have 4 letters of rec and the primary school I am interested in accepts up to 6. Would it be alright to have my friend's Dad (who has known me his entire life) who is a Doctor write me a letter? Even if I haven't shadowed him or anything? He still knows me extremely well.

2. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    The letter would be worthless. Especially if he starts off "I have known this boy since he was in training diapers"

3. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
  4. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think it would help you in any way. Better to have 4 solid letters then add in an additional useless one. Most MD schools don't accept/want letters from physicians you have shadowed, yet alone ones that you just happen to know.

j306c954 likes this.
  5. j306c954

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

6. j306c954

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Alright wasn't sure. Thanks everyone!

7. j306c954

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What about a neurosurgeon that I shadowed for a day? I remember him offering to write me one, but I never asked because I wasn't quite sure what all he could say since I only shadowed him for a day.

(The 4 letters I have currently are very solid, I just figure it wouldn't hurt if there were additional ones that look good as well)

8. j306c954

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh, and final question...I assisted with research in my cousin's lab (she runs it, has a PhD in biology) over the summer. I was going to ask her, but wasn't sure if I would be able to since she is family.

9. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Just because you can submit 6 letters does not mean you should scramble to get 6. If you have 4 solid letters, leave it alone.

j306c954 and starlite911 like this.
  10. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes.

11. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    This is true, except none of the ones you mentioned as possibilities sound any good at all.

12. gonnif

gonnif Only 695 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Why do people assume that an action will not have an impact? It can hurt as is in the impression it makes on an adcom member. Do you want someone to read these solid letters, have a great impression of you, then see a couple of worthless fluff letters? Do you want that to be the thing they possibly remember the most? Ot gets them wondering if your insecure depending on family friends for recommenations?

13. p0gono

This doesn't sound like a fluff letter to me, assuming you actually got your hands dirty in lab. It shouldn't matter that it is your cousin, though it may sound less objective to adcomms, I don't know.

Were there any other superiors in the lab who could write or cowrite with your cousin? If you really want another letter, I mean.

14. gonnif

Non-Student
    That's is half of why it is fluff. The other half is, despite what so many applicants believe otherwise, unless you have worked towards a research project under a PI, lab letters are not particularly important. Most med schools want letters from faculty you have had a class with. This letter would be from 1) a relative 2) non faculty and 3) not from a course instructor

Goro likes this.
  15. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Doctors are incapable of writing anything but glowing testimonials, and NOT the evaluations that we really want to see.

Pay attention: they don't add anything.

16. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Interesting. So you've never seen a practicing MD write one of those semi-lukewarm, send a Jedi message that the student is not really all that great kind of LOR? Or even a "Dude this kid just bugged me for one, here it is" type?

17. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    In over 12 years on the Adcom, I have seen exactly one bad LOR from an MD.

avgn likes this.
  18. p0gono

If OP's cousin is "in charge" of the lab, wouldn't that make them a PI or at least an investigator? I've seen advice on these forums that evidence of using your connections to get experience would actually look good. With that said, I agree that it would be a better idea to have someone else in the lab write or cowrite.

And yes, instructor letters are vital. OP already fulfilled the 4 required letters.

19. gonnif

Non-Student
    If the OP had a formal research arrangement it might have some value. But being around the lab of a relative for the summer is not worth much. Same as applicants who get a letter from any doc they shadow informally.

Besides, there seems to be this perception among applicants that getting any little bit, however small and trivial it may be, should be gotten without any regard for negative impact it might have.

1) Schools get thousands of applicants leading to tens of thousand of pages of material.
    2) Someone who reads a file from an applicants is time pressured and often an applicant is evaluated from an overall "impression" of the app. Indeed, imagine the first letter in the file the adcom reads is something that starts with something about his/her cousin. Is that going to shadow the readers impression for everything else? Is it going to sound like nepotism? Is it just gonna make the reader rush thru the file leaving clouding the impression.
    3) Is the formula 4 solid letters + 2 "fluff" > 4 solid letters alone? I think 4 solid letters alone > 4 + 2 fluff

j306c954 and p0gono like this.
  20. Gandyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I want you to know that I laughed out loud when I read the "since he was in training diapers." part.