Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 4 letters of rec and the primary school I am interested in accepts up to 6. Would it be alright to have my friend's Dad (who has known me his entire life) who is a Doctor write me a letter? Even if I haven't shadowed him or anything? He still knows me extremely well.

Members don't see this ad.

The letter would be worthless. Especially if he starts off "I have known this boy since he was in training diapers"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would help you in any way. Better to have 4 solid letters then add in an additional useless one. Most MD schools don't accept/want letters from physicians you have shadowed, yet alone ones that you just happen to know.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would help you in any way. Better to have 4 solid letters then add in an additional useless one. Most MD schools don't accept/want letters from physicians you have shadowed, yet alone ones that you just happen to know.
That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Alright wasn't sure. Thanks everyone!

What about a neurosurgeon that I shadowed for a day? I remember him offering to write me one, but I never asked because I wasn't quite sure what all he could say since I only shadowed him for a day.

(The 4 letters I have currently are very solid, I just figure it wouldn't hurt if there were additional ones that look good as well)

Oh, and final question...I assisted with research in my cousin's lab (she runs it, has a PhD in biology) over the summer. I was going to ask her, but wasn't sure if I would be able to since she is family.

Just because you can submit 6 letters does not mean you should scramble to get 6. If you have 4 solid letters, leave it alone.

Reactions: 1 users
I just figure it wouldn't hurt if there were additional ones that look good as well
This is true, except none of the ones you mentioned as possibilities sound any good at all.

Oh, and final question...I assisted with research in my cousin's lab (she runs it, has a PhD in biology) over the summer. I was going to ask her, but wasn't sure if I would be able to since she is family.
This doesn't sound like a fluff letter to me, assuming you actually got your hands dirty in lab. It shouldn't matter that it is your cousin, though it may sound less objective to adcomms, I don't know.

Were there any other superiors in the lab who could write or cowrite with your cousin? If you really want another letter, I mean.

Doctors are incapable of writing anything but glowing testimonials, and NOT the evaluations that we really want to see.

Pay attention: they don't add anything.

I currently have 4 letters of rec and the primary school I am interested in accepts up to 6. Would it be alright to have my friend's Dad (who has known me his entire life) who is a Doctor write me a letter? Even if I haven't shadowed him or anything? He still knows me extremely well.

Doctors are incapable of writing anything but glowing testimonials, and NOT the evaluations that we really want to see.

Pay attention: they don't add anything.
Interesting. So you've never seen a practicing MD write one of those semi-lukewarm, send a Jedi message that the student is not really all that great kind of LOR? Or even a "Dude this kid just bugged me for one, here it is" type?

In over 12 years on the Adcom, I have seen exactly one bad LOR from an MD.

Interesting. So you've never seen a practicing MD write one of those semi-lukewarm, send a Jedi message that the student is not really all that great kind of LOR? Or even a "Dude this kid just bugged me for one, here it is" type?

Reactions: 1 user
That's is half of why it is fluff. The other half is, despite what so many applicants believe otherwise, unless you have worked towards a research project under a PI, lab letters are not particularly important. Most med schools want letters from faculty you have had a class with. This letter would be from 1) a relative 2) non faculty and 3) not from a course instructor

If OP's cousin is "in charge" of the lab, wouldn't that make them a PI or at least an investigator? I've seen advice on these forums that evidence of using your connections to get experience would actually look good. With that said, I agree that it would be a better idea to have someone else in the lab write or cowrite.

And yes, instructor letters are vital. OP already fulfilled the 4 required letters.

The letter would be worthless. Especially if he starts off "I have known this boy since he was in training diapers"

I want you to know that I laughed out loud when I read the "since he was in training diapers." part.